gossip in the rumor mill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This is where it gets good... the kid with the biggest spoon (for stirring the pot) has decided to "take the high road" and step down for the good of the team.... and by the way, on her way out she says "I'm taking my clique with me" and literally tried to talk 3-4 other girls into quitting along side her. Thankfully only one did and all the others stayed. However I'm three players short with a fall tourney in two week and fall ball season starts in three weeks... I'm really feeling the pressure. Pray for me. I really need to find some patience through this non stop drama.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good luck James. It seems that it's time to draft up some social media rules of conduct (or amend your existing team rules) and have the players - and parents - sign it.

Mar 28, 2013
both my DDs teams this does not happen. Both coaches spend 30% of the time teaching what it means to be a good a teammate and the value of sisterhood.To the point they have 30 minute meeting complete with personal notebooks before practice.In a real team there are no clicks.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is where it gets good... the kid with the biggest spoon (for stirring the pot) has decided to "take the high road" and step down for the good of the team.... and by the way, on her way out she says "I'm taking my clique with me" and literally tried to talk 3-4 other girls into quitting along side her. Thankfully only one did and all the others stayed. However I'm three players short with a fall tourney in two week and fall ball season starts in three weeks... I'm really feeling the pressure. Pray for me. I really need to find some patience through this non stop drama.

As coaches, we're in this to teach kids. Here's a great opportunity.

Glad it's you and not me, though. :) I know it's not what you bargained for.

Aug 14, 2011
The softball world is small. Perhaps, once it becomes known this kid is gone, you will have players wanting to play on your team. Kids like that are cancers on a team. She's gone. Don't give up just yet.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
You might be the coach, but chances are you haven't seen even the tip of the iceberg as to what is actually said by teenagers to each other when they are hiding behind a keyboard. For example, a 12 y/o girl committed suicide in Florida today because of online bullying. There are no words.

Nov 29, 2009
I have it my written team rules about social media conduct and what is not acceptable. I also have a meeting with all of the players and parents before we have the first practice where I go over the rules. I especially hit the social media portion very hard.

One other thing coach, and I can only speak from my experience dealing with teenage girls. Do they view you as a pushover or weak? If there is even a hint of it in their minds the one troublemaker will be ALL over it in a heartbeat. I've seen coaches get run over by teenage girls. To keep them under control you MUST be the most dynamic personality on the team. There can be no doubt who the boss is. You don't have to be a dictator, but you must be in charge the entire time.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Look, social media is just the venue for these mean girls and they would find other ways if that was not available. Cut it off at the source. I'd have a team meeting before a practice and point out what is acceptable. I'd then provide evidence of what was said. Then, I'd send the culprits home. The parents have to be notified as well. I'm betting that they won't appreciate their child's actions. You can then decide after seeing how they respond as to whether you want to keep them and have this be a suspension or if they are off the team. If you enter the summer next year without dealing with this, you will have a miserable year.

As mentioned earlier, college coaches set the rules on social media right away. It isn't pretty when the rules get violated.

Oct 7, 2009
In the future, you might want to make it a part of the tryout process for the girls to disclose all social media accounts and friend you (or your wife perhaps) and just peruse the postings prior to making any offers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207