Gorilla Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
Surprisingly not bad considering the situation my players parents were surprised at how controlled I was. I did not invade his space and raised the volume of my voice to match his because I was still pleading our case. It is a legal substance according to the rules and we have been using since it was brought to our attention in 2009 at the WIAA coaches meeting. Never thought I would have to ask to use something legal.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yes Gorilla gold, Add insult to injury there were college scouts in attendance the day before and now all they will hear is the shut down pitcher they were watching yesterday was cheating. The tournament director is still insisting she was cheating and that was why she was throwing a 1 hit shut out 2nd of tournament until they were about to be run ruled in the fifth and the sh!t hit the fan. Sad part is an uninformed obstinant UIC may cost this pitcher college looks and possible scholarships.

It's too bad that ignorance reared its head in this tourney, but you actually have been given a great opportunity and an excuse to publicize and promote your pitcher and have her be remembered even more strongly by college coaches. Simply send all the college coaches in attendance at the tournament a very brief, factual email. Something along the lines of the following would work.

To College Coaches in Attendance at the XYZ Tournament,

I write to you on behalf of Pitcher Awesomesauce. As you may have heard, on DAY/DATE in the midst of another dominating performance and with the host organization's team on the verge of being shut out/run-ruled in the 5th inning, the UIC and TD erroneously ruled that Pitcher A's use of Gorilla Gold, a drying agent approved and commonly used by NCAA pitchers, constituted a violation of tournament rules and vacated the team's prior tournament victories. This tournament was played under the governance of ASA rules which, as indicated in this link (provide link here), unambigously allows the use of Gorilla Gold.

Having known/coached Pitcher A for x years, I can attest to her integrity and ability...... (Insert gratuitous plug here, including stats and highlights, upcoming schedule, skills video link, profile link etc.).

I am available at your convenience to answer any questions you may have regarding Pitcher A's capabilities and college goals.

Sincerely......Coach 1/2

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are two issues here. Halfast816 is concerned about the reputation of his pitcher and the success of his team and so feels badly. Of course most of us understand that this would have little if any real effect on the pitcher. College coaches know what they are looking for and so they will base their interest on that and not some interpretation of the rules.

The second issue here regardless of some wanting to attack the messenger is that this ASA tournament was run with umpires, a Head Umpire, and Tournament Director that did not know the rules. Rules that have been in place since 2009. I guess it is easier to attack the messenger than to own up to that.

May 22, 2011
Udate on the incident: For those of you that thought she did anything wrong. You all are inncorrect. The ruling from the state ASA official and head of WIAA was the call was completely in the wrong. Gorilla Gold may be used and kept on the pitchers person not just the pocket. The head UIC has called myself and my pitcher to apologize for the terrible call. He admitted to many mistakes in making his judgement and regretts doing so. **** has proved he is a bigger / better man and I respect him. The Tournament director on the other hand shifted all blame to the UIC never apologized for spreading the word as fast as he could. I will never play another tournament in that town again, yet would have no reservation in playing a game officiated by ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 22, 2011
Those of you whom supported and tried to ease my mind thank you. Your words were of comfort in this rollercoater of emotion.

Oct 19, 2009
I’m glad you stood up for your daughter and her team. It is unbelievable that with the rule book clearly states that GG is a legal substance and it was ignored. It may be a good idea to have a rule book handy in the future for just such a problem. I’m glad you received an apology, but IMO you should get your money back and a couple tournaments free of charge for the trouble.

My daughter’s team has experienced some rather questionable calls in ASA ball. It seems there are certain teams who get all the breaks, the expanded strike zones and close calls always seem to go their way. Last ASA tournament there were 10 teams in our age bracket, we won 6 and lost 2 games and finished 7th. In 107 degree weather we played to the winners final and lost to a good team, and then we ended up playing 5 games in a row until we lost the second game. No other team played that many games in a row even teams who lost way earlier than we did. It seemed too many of us they were trying to get rid of us.

We never got a break in between games, when one game was over 2 umps were waiting to start the next game. We had kids getting sick and cramping, but they seemed to not care. We started with 12 players and had 9 left in the last game. Daughter threw 311 pitches that day in almost unbearable heat. They examined my daughters rosin bag a number of times and one even showed her a little spot in far back of the mound where he advised the bag was to stay. Plus she had a strike zone the size of a sewing needle to work with. :mad:

May 22, 2011
We had everything from the rule book to internet sites that stated Gorilla Grip Gold was legal and no one would look at it. The tournament director could have made things right but chose not to. The UIC has been in contact with me and is very upset with how the case was brought to him by his field umpire. He had no idea it was the top of the fifth and we were leading 9-0. The opposing team brought it to the attaention of the field umpire he had the problem the plate umpire was ready to play as he had no problem and said nothing was on the ball. Feild umpire insisted we need to have the UIC make the call at the urging of the host teams fans and coachs. Forfeit was entered into the conversation by the tournament director. My girls were sent of the field the UIC came back after consulting with the tournament director and declared a 7-0 nothing forfeit. In a fit of rage I shouted bullshit. turned to the coaches abd said you know damn well this stuff is legal. I immediately began instructing parents to google ASA gorilla Grip and WIAA gorilla grip they were coming with all my information when the UIC informed me I would be arrested if I continued. My response was go ahead and call. he refused to look at anything and retreated to his car to head for another part of the tournament. While talking with the umpire when he called to apologize he was very upset broke down a few times and when he heard what lead up to the him being called he was furious. He has fired his field umpire, informed the tournament director he will never be coming back and is very concerned about how the lack of information given to him by the tournament director gave the appearance of home town officiating. The topper is when looking for contact information to notify the team we forfeited to they were wrong I found the tournament directors name listed as a coach for the team..............umpires make mistakes and sometimes huge ones, When someone has the courage to admit it that says something about their character of which the organization that put on this tournament has none.

May 22, 2011
You can laugh at me when I refer to scouts, they were from smaller schools from the area interested in taking a look at some of the ladies on our team. I will do whatever it takes to keep these young ladies playing as long as they wish to. I will exploree every avenue to get their names out their and make sure they are held in the highest reguard. We aren't built from hired guns looking for the best team to play for. We are a close knit group, 9 who play as 1 and that is why we win.

Jul 26, 2012
Halfast816

I believe we MAY have participated in the same tourney, but diff age group. The 'home team fix' from one ump definitely appeared to be on (intentional or not). Very frustrated with bad calls, and made up rules being called to rattle my players during our game with them. I would like to know when sweatbands/wristbands on your arm became illegal in ASA (non pitcher)! Heard the championship game for your age group didn't end well either (Ump walked off and didn't let game finish).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207