Gorilla Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
2009 ASA Rules Approves Gorilla Gold for Softball Pitchers

Resin-based grip enhancer can be kept in pocket

Lewiston, ID (March 15, 2009) –The Amateur Softball Association (ASA) 2009 Rule Book has included Gorilla Gold, the world’s leading producer and marketer of resin-tackified grip towels, as the only approved drying agent allowed in a pitcher’s pocket.

The new ruling aligns the ASA with NCAA Softball, which has allowed pitchers to use Gorilla Gold for the past four years.

The new ASA ruling states: “Rule 6 Section 6 A Fast Pitch: an Approved manufactured drying agent that is included on the list published by the ASA, may be used by the pitcher. The Resin must be left on the ground and the approved drying agent in the pitcher’s pocket. Effect: If any other substance is found in the pitcher’s pocket the pitcher shall be ejected.”

“Some drying agents are resin and need to submitted to ASA for approval before they can be used by the pitcher. Currently only Gorilla Gold is approved.”

The Amateur Softball Association (ASA), a volunteer driven, not-for-profit organization has evolved into the strongest softball organization in the country with over 250,000 teams as members.

Gorilla Gold president and inventor, Patrick Dugan was extremely pleased with the ruling. “It’s great news,” Dugan said, “The ASA is a prominent and respected leader of the softball universe, and like NCAA, they don’t make decisions without very careful testing and consideration.”

Each Gorilla Gold towel is impregnated with a light resin formula that can improve feel and control without contaminating the ball.

Former 3-time All-American, Michelle Delloso, has been a long-time advocate for the product. “Gorilla Gold improves the game for both players and fans. We’ve all experienced games where the conditions are so bad, that the ball’s not going over the plate for the hitters to hit. With Gorilla Gold, better pitching control in cold and wet conditions is good for the game,” Delloso commented.

One of the sport’s top retailers is also glad to see ASA’s approval. According to buyer and product manager, Jamie Barron, of Softball Sales and Team Express, “The new ASA rule that approves Gorilla Gold for pitchers not only gives Softball Sales and Baseball Express a great product to offer to the player, it also gives the player an alternative to rosin, and helps eliminate issues umpires have had with the errant use of pine tar and other illegal substances being introduced on the mound.”

Gorilla Gold, the world's leading producer and marketer of tackfying towels, recently announced a partnership with renowned golf instructor Hank Haney who will serve as a brand spokesperson for the company's golf towel. Haney was first introduced to Gorilla Gold at a consumer golf show and quickly became a fan of the product.

In addition to softball, baseball, and golf, Gorilla Gold is used in nearly every sport where a good grip is required including racquet sports, rugby, and football. The company has recently created and will soon market a tackified wristband that is already being used with success in several sports. Another Gorilla Gold product, Major Gripper, is targeted to be sold in auto parts stores, hardware stores, and building materials centers to improve tool and materials handling.

For more information contact:
Tom Donahoe
Gorilla Gold
818-259-9437
tdonahoe@gorillagold.com

Oct 19, 2009
I just ordered some of the Gorilla Gold (GG), have not received it yet, Bill Hillhouse had recommended it in a post and my DD wanted to try it. We’ve been in tournaments and had umps give DD a problem with her rosin bags, she has had them inspect the rosin bags, tell her she had to place it in a certain location and once when she was pitching in the rain she was told she had to wipe all the resin off after she used it.

We also had a very similar thing with DD using a sling-shot delivery, which the tournament director declared illegal and it is not.

Do you think before a tournament the coach should go to the director and ask about using GG? :confused:

Is GG a stick type substance or a drying agent? I ordered the GG on the net, after I was unable to locate it in stores in our area, I checked Wal-Mart, Dick’s, Sports Authority and Academy Sports and none carried it. Where did some of you get GG is it any stores?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yes Gorilla gold, Add insult to injury there were college scouts in attendance the day before and now all they will hear is the shut down pitcher they were watching yesterday was cheating. The tournament director is still insisting she was cheating and that was why she was throwing a 1 hit shut out 2nd of tournament until they were about to be run ruled in the fifth and the sh!t hit the fan. Sad part is an uninformed obstinant UIC may cost this pitcher college looks and possible scholarships.

Puh-leeze! If they were "college scouts", why would they care? Hell, many of the college coaches from the top down know when their pitchers are illegal and do little about it until caught and in many cases, attack the umpires instead of correcting it.

Besides, IMO, if you think your pitcher is going to lose value and a ride due to this isn't doing a very good job at getting her recruited.

May 22, 2011
Geez.....overreact much?:rolleyes:

How would react if your pitcher whom is being scouted has been labeled a cheat with a tournament director spreading the word so that everyone knew she cheated. I can't close the barn door after the horses are out. This is a girls future we my be talking about here. I will not take any chances.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Gorilla Gold - History

2009 ASA Rules Approves Gorilla Gold for Softball Pitchers

Resin-based grip enhancer can be kept in pocket

Lewiston, ID (March 15, 2009) –The Amateur Softball Association (ASA) 2009 Rule Book has included Gorilla Gold, the world’s leading producer and marketer of resin-tackified grip towels, as the only approved drying agent allowed in a pitcher’s pocket.

Last edited:
May 22, 2011
It comes down to character, many coaches at least the ones I want my girls heading to play for hold this in high reguards. Even if we were talking smaller schools it could affect a decision. High profile schools aren't the only ones that are important. My players work hard keep their noses clean and now have been labeled cheaters. It has hit the home town already not even 24 hrs later the story of my girls cheating made it to the drivers-ed class none of which are on the team. The attorney is to clear her name and require the tournament director to stop telling anyone that will listen how she cheated. We as a team want a letter of apology from the tournament director the head umpire to accompany the letters from Gorilla Grip WIAA and ASA that state she was 100% in the right and notification to all teams in the tournament no rules were infact broken. She has worked hard since she 8 years old and deserves her reputation back. AND NO I DON'T think Im overreacting those are my girls and I will go to bat for them anytime.

Apr 11, 2012
The tournament director then began telling the other teams how he wished someone would have caught us cheating earlier as all our games shouldn't count. I now have a prospect college pitcher labeled as a cheater because she was using a legal substance and the ignorant group of tournament directors and UIC that can't admit when they were wrong. What recourse do I have?

none....

but relax, I would all but guarantee that a college coach could give a cr*p less what happened in that game. They are only concernd about a players talent level. The GG may help a pitcher to a small degree, but doesnt make a good pitcher into a great pitcher.....so try and relax about the whole deal, because it's nearly impossible to deal with idiots and if a college wants your pitcher, they will get her the message.

I would be more concerned with the "host team" getting some special favors and tyranny applied....maybe you have settled it the old "irish way" especially with the TD who cant read a rule book.....jk.....forget it and more on.

Jan 25, 2011
take this as a lesson,my dd was a 12u player last year and was pitching in a game,with light rain.She has GG and went to the PU and asked first.He looked at it and said she could use it.It just to me made more sense to ask first,then rather have problems later.If he would of said no even if it is in the rules,we would of said that it was fine.next time ask first,The umps arent there not to punish the teams and players,sometimes just asking can save a lot of pain later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach