Good portable high frame rate video camera

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Not sure where to put this so I chose general.

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a sturdy video camera that would allow a high frame rate capture (at least 60FPS). The goal to shoot hitting and pitching for later analysis.

Actually, is 60FPS even sufficient to for analysis?

Thanks!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For $125-150, I've been happy w/ the the Kodak Playsport. It maxes at 60 fps but has held up well through the typical abuse of a year of SB and has met all my needs. Moderator Ken is happy with his.

Apr 4, 2012
I'll second the Playsport. For what it cost it's a great little camera that I can use in many different situations.

The 60FPS seems adequate for what I need in watching pitchers and batters. I would have liked to have gotten a higher rate but I couldn't really justify it. If you run your own training facility and could claim your camera as an expense and will use it everyday then I could see paying more but the Playsport was perfect for what I needed.

Jul 26, 2010
The Playsport is tried and true, but it's about 10 year old technology.

The Casio Exilim line is very nice, and can be had under $300 depending on the model. The ZR100, for instance, can do up to 1000 frames per second. It's pretty easy to connect them to an ipad and use power chalk or RVP on the spot.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC