Good bats for a young tall girl?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2013
There are some great deals on last year model Easton bats that would fit the bill for your daughter (Makos, FS3s and Torqs). Some of these can be found for about $100-$150 and they would be a huge improvement over an aluminum bat. They are practically giving away the old Torqs. You might want to check out Closeoutbats.com. Easton runs a bit on the heavy side so you may want to go to a drop 12.

Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
DD is 8 years old, 4’9” (and growing), and about 80 lbs. She’s been swinging a cheap 30/19 aluminum bat that came off a bargain bin a couple years ago (she thought it was pretty and I’ve held on to it in the hopes that she’d grow into it), but Santa might be bringing her a bat for Christmas and I need some help.

DD’s hitting coach doesn’t believe that brand matters too much at her age, but for her size and strength he really likes the length and weight of her current bat. But I’m having a hard time finding a -11 youth bat, or if I do find one it’s not a 30-inch bat.

So, any ideas? Is there a good bat for young hitters that isn’t labeled as a “youth” bat? Is there a manufacturer I don’t know about that recognizes that sometimes young kids are giant?

(And I'm okay with a used bat as a backup bat but Santa would really like to put a brand new bat under the tree this year.)

I was in the same boat as you. Mine is 7 and 4'6" weighing over 70 lbs. The DeMarini Bustos bat did wonders for her this fall and her teammates.

DeMarini Bustos Fastpitch Bat WTDXBFP-14 -13oz (2015)

Believe I went 29/16 route. But you find yourself more paranoid. I watched that bat like a hawk. First major investment.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you think your DD may be in softball for another year or two I would buy a 30/20 and let her start taking practice swings with it. It if it too heavy for her to use right away put a choke up ring on the end of it until she grows into it. At 8U she is about to hit a growth spurt, so she will quickly outgrow a 29/18.

51y6RPjEstL._SX300_.jpg

Aug 23, 2016
Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I let DD swing quite a few bats. The only composite bat she liked was the Easton Hyperlite, but that was at the top end of my budget so we kept looking. DD complained that the Bustos was too light - she didn't have a feel for where the barrel of the bat was.

In the end, DD was the most comfortable with youth bats so we got both the Louisville Slugger Diva 30/18.5 (which she liked the look of) and the Easton Mako youth 30/19 bat (which she swung the best). Those will work for now, and she's likely to outgrow both of them by all-stars anyway (she's already too tall for pants we bought her in September), in which case we'll start the bat search process again....

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
I might be the only one but I am not a big fan of the Diva bat. I hope it works out better for your DD than it did for mine. It is the only bat that I specifically have told my team not to purchase. I think cheap aluminum bats and strong big kids are a bad combination. I tried just about every aluminum bat I could find and ended up buying my overgrown 8 year old DD a LXT.

Aug 23, 2016
No more than 50 bucks for a new bat. Shes 8. Aluminum is the way to go. When she gets into the 10's and then 12's is when you're going to start dropping those bills

We managed to pay a little over $50 to get two aluminum bats - one she likes because it's pretty, the other she likes because she swings it well. I figure that by the start of the spring season she'll decide that one of bats is the one with the hits in it, and the other will be her backup bat.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
We managed to pay a little over $50 to get two aluminum bats - one she likes because it's pretty, the other she likes because she swings it well. I figure that by the start of the spring season she'll decide that one of bats is the one with the hits in it, and the other will be her backup bat.

All you need. Very cool

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi