Go Pro 3+ Silver...What am I missing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Got this as a gift for Christmas. I see them at lots of tournaments. I tried using it a couple times now. Tried filming a practice and a game at a recent tournament. I have the mounting bracket and have downloaded the app to my phone. The video is very far away. It is crystal clear on the phone. When I try to use my PC to view the video it gets all choppy. Should I just invest in a camcorder? Am I just missing something on the Go Pro? Perhaps I need to read the manual again. I do like the wireless feature to start and stop. Just doesn't seem to have the view I would want for recording games. Any tips from existing users would be appreciated.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
There are a couple of things you can do. First and foremost, make sure you are using the best resolution available. In the case of the 3+ Silver, I recommend 1080p with 30 frames per second. That takes care of the quality (for the most part). The second thing is the field of view. This takes care of how wide or narrow you want the video. Generally, I shoot my games with the Medium field of view and mount the camera on the backstop almost perfectly aligned with the right handed batters box. This usually covers the entire field, from 3rd to 1st; including home plate. To your point, the quality of the video in the outfield is not going to be as good as the quality at the plate. If you want to focus on the outfield, I would mount the camera on the fence that runs by the dugouts; on the side of the field of the player you want to focus on.

Another thing to consider is that it is possibly a playback issue on your computer. If you are running a Windows based computer, I highly recommend VLC player. You can download that from here:
VideoLAN - Downloads
VLC Player does a better job than most standard players, but that is only part of what installing it will fix. Video playback on computers requires what is called a "Codec". Don't get caught up in the terminology, but assentially, a codec is nothing more than a program or device that compresses and decompresses (hence, CO-DEC") the video stream. I've found that the codecs that install with VLC are much more efficient than most stock codecs. In any event, it is free. If it doesn't help and/or you don't like it, it is also easy to uninstall.

Have you uploaded any video we might be able to look at?

Hope this helps.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Josh- I am still playing around with the camera. I will try your tips and see if I can improve. The camera seems to get good reviews on this site. I am sure it is a code ID10T issue. Sadly, I feel like I know a little about computers and cameras. I hope a little time using it will improve me.

Feb 18, 2014
I just had a problem with my Hero 4 silver and gopro studio. Serious performance issues. I had to uninstall, find and delete all files left after the uninstall, delete the project files out of my documents. Then reboot and do a clean install. According to what I found online it is a bad idea at times to launch studio with the camera plugged in via usb. Now it works fine.

My issue is very specific, have you checked your performance monitor to see if you are pegging the processor or memory? Have you installed VLC player to try playing the video outside of gopro studio?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I just had a problem with my Hero 4 silver and gopro studio. Serious performance issues. I had to uninstall, find and delete all files left after the uninstall, delete the project files out of my documents. Then reboot and do a clean install. According to what I found online it is a bad idea at times to launch studio with the camera plugged in via usb. Now it works fine.

My issue is very specific, have you checked your performance monitor to see if you are pegging the processor or memory? Have you installed VLC player to try playing the video outside of gopro studio?
I actually only had GoPro studio on one computer. Never used it so I uninstalled it. Actually, unless you are using ProTools (a crazy setting that most people won't need) there really isn't a need for Studio. I just plug the camera in (or put the sd card in my laptop), copy the images from the drive created by the camera or the card, and edit with Adobe Premier; or if the clips are small, I just upload them directly to youtube. Unless I'm missing something, I have no use for Studio. And to answer your questions, yes, I always play the original videos in VLC outside of studio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06