Glove Whirl w/Rick Pauly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This "whirl" action Rick describes should not be confused with glove-arm swim. Hopefully Rick will step forward here and again describe the difference.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pretty simple really ....

Japanese_Windmill_Introduction.gif

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Whirly gig.....baby!

We want the arms to be in sync and mirror each other, so it makes sense to have BOTH palms oriented up at the T position in order to pull down together.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
BUMPing this thread. Extremely important piece and the video Crystal posted above is a great teach from Rick. I wish there was a separate section or topic dedicated to Glove Whirl/Adduction similar to Drive Mechanics, Internal Rotation, etc.

There is a substantial wealth of knowledge buried throughout the site from Board Member, Rick, and others that might have you looking closer at Adduction and Glove Whirl and most importantly......how they should work together.

2 Quotes (I will not quote this exactly so please don't hold me to the letter of the law on this) that stand out and are always in the front of my mind:

BM - The most powerful movement you can do is adduction *see BM adduction video
RP - 90% (give or take a bit) of your velocity comes from the upper body.

Take those 2 quotes (semi - quotes ;) ) and ask yourself if your DD has more power in the tank.

Apr 12, 2015
I dunno PC, the way she is finishing looks like she is shutting down the glove side to me. She certainly isn'the getting a mirrored whip on the glove side, which is the ideal to strive for.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
PC, I will let the others comment but I appreciate you posting. I also appreciate DNeeld's comments as well as this is what I am seeing with my DD. We have been cleaning up a few things this fall and one of the things that we are starting to work on is the glove side (thus my sudden addiction to this). PC, my DD looks similar to yours but probably even a little more glove shut down. She mirrors well up until probably the most critical point and then the glove side stops. I think there is room to gain from not shutting it down and mirroring the entire way so we will continue to focus on this and see what happens.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez