Glove size question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My daughter is in need of a new glove and I am unsure on what size to get her. She is a second year 10U player and she plays pitcher or 1st base. She currently has an 11inch glove but I wasn't sure if I should move her up a size or not. There is a lot of conflicting advice on the internet.
What size or size range do you think I should go with?

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
A glove is a personal choice. The person has to feel confident in the glove. When we went glove shopping, I initially had my DD (12 YOA) look at 12" gloves, but she felt better (more confident) with a 12.5" glove. I thought it would be too big, but after trying it out she felt the 12" was too small.

Have your DD try an 11" glove, an 11.5" glove, and a 12" glove. Have her try different brands as well. When she finds the right glove, she'll know it.

Feb 9, 2011
My daughter (99) plays short stop and pitches. I had everyone tell me she needed a 12 glove at short but for her it was just to small we went with a 12.5 glove and she loves it. Vinci model RCV-VM it has fiberglass reinforced finger stalls and kip leather very nice glove and a rep hooked me up on a good deal. Before that she played with Easton Natural Elite gloves worked great for about 6 tournaments but the pre broken in gloves breakdown fast. If she is a pure 1st base player you may also want to look into a 1B mitt. When she moves up to 12u the girls start throwing alot harder.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
In 8U I bought my DD an 11" glove. It didn't last long though because in 10U she started useing my 30 year old 12.5" glove. I then bought myself a new 12.5 glove and guess who has it now. 12.5 seems to be a good all around size. She plays middle infield and outfield.

If your DD is going to play 1st, get her a 1st baseman's mit. But DO have her try on different gloves before you buy.

Nov 1, 2009
I would say that as a pitcher you want a smaller glove that is easy to move. Quickness is a big advantage and a glove that is 12 or smaller is what I would recommend. Now when she plays first base I would use a different glove altogether. At first I would suggest a first base mitt because they are designed to field low throws which does happen quite often. Have her warm up using some of the gloves on the team and she might tell you what feels good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06