Glance at Swing and Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'll keep you up to date with how this goes! Thanks again, shes excited to get out and try again in the yard tomorrow.

I would go thur model swings 3 times, and find the one YOU want. Convert to DVD, have her watch it 10 min aday in a yoga posture, on a big screen. Fix it so see can switch over to it on commercials. Make it a wallpaper on her computer, phone...ect... Buy a USB picture frame and play it on her nightstand ...:cool:

Only take video using the angles used in the Model Swing...

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Awesome help guys! Im trying to put it to practice tonight. She didn't understand that she was swinging with arms at the end of her swing and wasn't understanding weight transfer. The image of bonds superimposed made her aware of what her hips and follow thru should look like. She has watched the video and im hearing ohhhhhhhhhh!!!

Im working with doing the crossover drill tonight. I also need to make sure that back foot is not pointing back towards the catcher.

Now that back foot, after the swing its should pivot? (squish a bug?)
And her hips should follow through to allow that weight transfer, and not stop, right hip should almost be thrown at the pitcher.

About her:
She just turned 11
She is 5' 2'' 125ish pounds
( i think she looks smaller in the video)
She is swinging a 31inch 21ounce bat, xeno. Also used a 30/21 rockettech some.
She is a travel player.
Always been a contact hitter, this year started more power hitting, but like i said started living on 3rd base line.

I'll keep you up to date with how this goes! Thanks again, shes excited to get out and try again in the yard tomorrow.

Should not look like this.
2816f7b.gif

This is the same girl swinging after making corrections.
2cfuuc1.gif
Animation%20vanhollymorgan0.gif

This thread maybe helpfull?
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/5961-thoughts-daughters-swing.html
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/5027-megan-1-tee.html
Read these threads and then ask questions.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Our biggest problem right now:
She hits with great power, a more than a few home runs this year. But 95% of hits are down the 3rd base line. 2 homers hit the foul pole. Teams now just play her right on the line.

To me she is stepping and swinging at 2 different times. I see her step then land then swing. I also see her hips turning (too much hip before bat comes through) and stopping then arms coming through.

She also is hitting the ball way in front instead of letting it get in her power zone. Alot of this seems like timing to me. But I just cant get it figured out to help her. Shes frustrated hitting everything down the line and deep fly outs that are foul.

I did these videos after bouncing the tennis ball at her to try to get her to wait for the ball to get in the zone. These are me throwing with no bounce.

i slowed them down best i could. thanks for any tips

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uqLjQsZo-jk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3lmoeJD3DEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wDpgA-cWFtI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's swings 2 and 3 that are squishers....burn outs is probably a better description. Her front side blocks any weight shift too early, so her rear side can only spin out.

Oct 25, 2009
Reaching for the ball. Her game swing is probably a lot different than whiffle ball swings. I'm guessing that she is probably casting, hitting the outside of the game balls. I wouldn't be surprised if her game swing is very close to being a lunge, or front foot swing. That would account for the power but translates into low average as she ages up.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Animation%20vanhollymorgan0.gif

Remove the pre-load (stated by FFS)
Straight rearleg/foot-Need a stable rearleg to coil into.
Add coil and try shorting up the stride and see what you get.
Keep hands/arms same set up.

Sep 9, 2013
Hey guys, had about 30 minutes last night to work in the garage. She watched some of the videos. On the way to basketball practice tonight i just had her swing 2 times (no ball was throw at her, as we were leaving). Its difficult to tell on her upper body because i wasnt throwing a ball so its was a blind swing at nothing, was more focused on lower body setup to see if she was under standing. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get some of her hitting and see what it looks like. Thanks again for the help. She has came back to this page and re read and studied what everyone is saying. May have a bit of a lunge on these two lol, but no ball coming at her.

Ive also looked at borrowing a 32 and 33 inch bat to have her swing.

May need to shorten that stride and not lunge?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Ftnrgq9g4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M_lIWBw8hnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Take a look at the model swings thread or any of the MLBers frequently shown and note that the head remains still and in place once the stride foot heel is planted. When the head moves forward after heel plant, it becomes more difficult to track the ball and power is lost.

Sep 9, 2013
Hey guys just a quick up date. Grabbed two tourney swings from this weekend. Not two of her better swings as we worked on it more through out the day. But two early ones (weak teams, slow pitching so she did all she could to wait and not swing ahead)

Still squishing the bug, but we are working out of that to get hips through then hands. Was able to get rid of the lean back. And was able to work on keeping head back some

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bug8n6eQVR4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ihkwQ--qVjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves