girls catchers mitt advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
FYI, the JCV-VM and JCV-22 are almost identical in weight. The JCV-22 definitely breaks in faster. Both gloves are tanks and I expect them to last forever, or close to it.

Feb 2, 2014
My DD just had the same problem. The Mizuno GSX92 was no longer adequate for hand protection. We got a Vinci from Chaz, I think it was a JCV34. Much more padding than the Mizuno. 60 MPH pitches are no longer a problem.

The glove seems well constructed. It has a little shallower pocket than her well broken in Mizuno, so its a little quicker getting the ball out for the throw. Its a much stiffer leather, and she's had a couple of drops that I don't think she would with her old glove. But, I expect that to go away as she breaks it in better and adjusts to the way the new glove handles.

I originally encouraged her to wait longer before using it in games, but the padding was so much better that after a few practices she decided wasn't going back to her old glove.

Her pitcher loves the new glove too, because for some reason it has a much louder "pop" than the old glove. Seems to intimidate the batters :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of my DD's teammates just received an All-Star CMW3000 (from Jay @ NECC). It's a very well-built mitt, and VERY stiff right out of the box. The palm padding isn't as thick as the Vinci mitts, but it's better than most of the Mizunos. I am very impressed with the initial quality of the All-Star, and it looks like it should last a very long time, once properly broken-in. Being that my DD had some odd compatibility issues with her Vinci JVC-22, the All-Star is on my list for her next mitt after her current Miz GXS92 has served its time.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
My DD had the Akadema 33" and loved it at first. Unfortunately she only got 1 year out of it before she started to hate it. About 65 games. I just ordered the Vinci JCV34 based on all the recommendations here at DFP

Also, I would argue that you don't really need a 34". My DD did just fine with a 33" last year at 12u.

Rob.

Oct 11, 2013
Eric F- Curious what the odd issues were with the glove? My DD loves her Vinci, but I have noticed on an inside pitch as she tries to stick the pitch- every once in awhile it will hit the front/end of the web and cause a drop or deflection (because the "wrap" of the pocket). From looking at the All Star it looks to be built the exact same way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric F- Curious what the odd issues were with the glove? My DD loves her Vinci, but I have noticed on an inside pitch as she tries to stick the pitch- every once in awhile it will hit the front/end of the web and cause a drop or deflection (because the "wrap" of the pocket). From looking at the All Star it looks to be built the exact same way.

I wish I could say exactly what the issues were and - more importantly - how to fix them. For some reason, my DD drops an extraordinary amount of easy-to-catch pitches with the Vinci. Some just don't stay in the pocket (she has commented that she has trouble feeling the ball due to the thick padding), others bounce off the edges of the mitt. Her receiving consistency is DRAMATICALLY better with the Miz GXS92. She wants to love the Vinci, but can't.

I'm will be keeping an eye on the All-Star of my DD's teammate, and once it's broken in, I'll have my DD give it a try. It may turn out to have the same conflict with my DD as the Vinci.

Oct 11, 2013
I wish I could say exactly what the issues were and - more importantly - how to fix them. For some reason, my DD drops an extraordinary amount of easy-to-catch pitches with the Vinci. Some just don't stay in the pocket (she has commented that she has trouble feeling the ball due to the thick padding), others bounce off the edges of the mitt. Her receiving consistency is DRAMATICALLY better with the Miz GXS92. She wants to love the Vinci, but can't.

I'm will be keeping an eye on the All-Star of my DD's teammate, and once it's broken in, I'll have my DD give it a try. It may turn out to have the same conflict with my DD as the Vinci.

I have seen some of this as well- DD is 12. I think as they try to stick pitches and get around the ball because of the web/pocket "wrap" for lack of a better term causes the ball to hit the edge of the mitt. I think she adjusted the way she sticks pitches and has figured it out, but getting around that inside pitch- it still happens occasionally (which is way more than I want to see) The Mizuno and others while less padding dobn't have that pocket wrap at the top/front of the glove.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have seen some of this as well- DD is 12. I think as they try to stick pitches and get around the ball because of the web/pocket "wrap" for lack of a better term causes the ball to hit the edge of the mitt. I think she adjusted the way she sticks pitches and has figured it out, but getting around that inside pitch- it still happens occasionally (which is way more than I want to see) The Mizuno and others while less padding dobn't have that pocket wrap at the top/front of the glove.

Sounds logical. We're at the point right now where using the Vinci is - sadly - not an option.

May 18, 2013
Richmond, VA
Sadly, all these manufacturers are listening to the wrong people on how to design a great softball catcher's mitt and the girls/parents don't want to take the time to break one in properly or even to learn how to do it. Dd had a Japan made a2000 about 5-6 years ago that was near perfect, imo, and only needed a few tweaks to make it great. They scrapped it two yrs later after ruining it and went towards the altered 1st basemans mitt which my dd hates. I thought the Worth Liberty of that era were also nice mitts.

Vinci is right down the street from us and we like their stuff but we don't like the super deep web (was told that was requested to help catch rise balls) on the catchers mitts. We do like the smaller size but don't feel like it will open wide enough and I suspect that, along with too much palm padding, may be contributing to excessive drops and balls going off the pinky side edge, especially on inside pitches. That and the deep pocket it seems would make transfers difficult and my dd prides herself on owning the bases by thowing people out and picking them off.

These oversized mitts they are making now are just redeculous. The kids need to learn how to stare to ball into the mitt and receive it properly. Catch the top half of the ball on a rise and that problem is solved.

Probably going to order an all star next, since no box stores around us carry them, and check them out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12