Frustrating

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2021
DD had a game last night. 10u rec leave so nothing crazy. However home team didn’t book an ump. Instead had their first base coach and a players dad ump the game. Our options were to play the double header as is or drive 30 min home and not let the girls play at all. Started out by moving the game to the high school field. And forcing the girls to pitch from the high school rubber. Followed by anything under the brim of a helmet was a strike (for us at least) pitch calling improves a bit when a grandfather for a girl on our team who lives in the town we are playing calls out the makeshift ump. Which leads to second game. My DD is now pitching (quite horribly I might add) and getting frustrated fake ump is calling game from behind the pitcher and between pitches is harassing her telling her she’s burning daylight, refuses to have the field lights even turned on. Meanwhile DD gets run ruled, kinda expected, and we get last at bat. Finally now that his DD is pitching he turns on field lights, and in between pitches is going over hand movement and practicing flipping her wrist with her in the pitching circle. Just irritated. Not much I can do about it. But thought I would share some shenanigans

May 20, 2016
I've been guilty of thinking i've booked and ump and didn't and had to call the game as well. Did it from behind the pitcher as i don't have gear to call from behind the catcher.

I was a little different though, i squeezed my DD who was pitching and gave the opposing team a very generous strike zone. Craziest part is i was getting boo'ed by the parents of my team? At one point i had to stop the game and go over and tell them if they continued i'd ask them to leave the park. That day cemented in me the worst part of youth sports are the adults.

Sep 19, 2018
as a parent, I've been pulled off the sidelines twice to ump. The first time was 10U and my dd was the pitching. The first time the ump had an emergency and we could not get a new one in time to play. I refused to ump my own dd. So I called for the other team and the other team called for us. We made due and luckily all of the parents were happy that we got to play at all. And yes I was behind the pitcher and it is difficult.

The second time was a 12u friendly and neither team wants to pay for an ump. sigh. It was a very relaxed game. I did take some good natured ribbing from the sidelines. My dd would not talk to be on the way home because I called a couple of balls strikes and called her out at home when she was safe. The score was out of hand and I had to move the game along. In a similar relaxed situation, I'd do it again if needed but I am not going to ask for the chance to ump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi