Frustrated....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
On one of DD's softball teams there was a dad who wanted to be helpful. My older DD (11 at the time this happened) plays baseball. She was just hitting off the tee during younger DD's indoor softball practice. This dad came over and explained "squish the bug" to her. She did what he said until he walked off after a few swings. I said, "Don't listen to him." She said, "Yeah, I know." So that was easy enough to deal with...but it'd be tougher if he had been one of her coaches and not just some dad on her sister's team.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Coach, welcome to the post-truth era, where the facts don't matter, only what you believe. It's unfortunate that some coaches will cling to their beliefs even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Including the team's overall lack of offense.

Unfortunately you can't save everyone from themselves. Only those who want to be saved. About all you can do is keep gently feeding good information to him, and guiding him toward sources, and let him come to his own conclusions. If your daughter hits the heck out of the ball next season, and is the only one doing so, maybe he'll think there's something to what you're saying. Or maybe he'll just figure she's a great athlete and that's why she's hitting, with no thought that she's actually worked at it.

When my son Eric was playing baseball (rec) he had a head coach and some assistants who were saying all that same stuff. Messed up his swing quite a bit and he was struggling. I had told him to go along with what they said at practice and then swing normally during the game, not realizing how difficult that would actually be. (Smile, nod and ignore is the correct answer.) About halfway through the season he came to me and said let's just start over, so we rebuilt his swing to what it was before he got on that team and he started pounding the ball again. The head coach told the team "See, Eric is the only one who is listening to me." I so much wanted to say, "No, you dope. He's the only one who isn't." But I kept my mouth shut.

Everyone wants to help. Not everyone knows how.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Yeah, I have noticed that since they are pushing my youngest enough, her swing has changed a little and its off now. Rear hip is starting to not go forward as much and her rear foot is staying planted. Ugh.

I was told the other day that girls and boys swing different because of a softball swing and baseball swing. And because females are heavier up top and balance different due to their anatomy. I actually laughed when I was told this.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yeah, I have noticed that since they are pushing my youngest enough, her swing has changed a little and its off now. Rear hip is starting to not go forward as much and her rear foot is staying planted. Ugh.

I was told the other day that girls and boys swing different because of a softball swing and baseball swing. And because females are heavier up top and balance different due to their anatomy. I actually laughed when I was told this.

Time to get a bucket of balls and head to the park (or your nearest batting facility) and get things back in line.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Never heard the "Big toe to China" one. What's that for?

Eric, as usual, nailed it. Same coach that teaches the "squish the bug" action for the rear foot teaches, when you are done with the squish the bug action, the big toe should be pointing towards the ground with heel straight up, hence the "big toe to China" reminder.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Time to get a bucket of balls and head to the park (or your nearest batting facility) and get things back in line.

Oh we will be, soon as her finger heals. She sprained it last week, so it will be either this weekend or next week sometime before she is swinging again. Dang kids that want to play and be kids....lol

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Eric, as usual, nailed it. Same coach that teaches the "squish the bug" action for the rear foot teaches, when you are done with the squish the bug action, the big toe should be pointing towards the ground with heel straight up, hence the "big toe to China" reminder.

Like I said, never heard that one before. I can tell you that they are telling the kids to stay on the ball of their foot, toes on the ground and heel up. That's where all the power comes from, pushing that foot into the ground while turning. That's how I was told that I was wrong with what I am teaching.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Like I said, never heard that one before. I can tell you that they are telling the kids to stay on the ball of their foot, toes on the ground and heel up. That's where all the power comes from, pushing that foot into the ground while turning. That's how I was told that I was wrong with what I am teaching.

Poor Kris. He lost all his power...
Bryant_HR3.gif

Josh, too!...
Donaldson-Josh-HR-to-LF-04-06-2016.gif

...and Jenna Lilly!...
Jenna_Lilley_HR05082016.gif

...You're giving up all your power, Lauren Chamberlain! You'll never hit the ball far with that back foot....
LC-3_zpss86bhqnt.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi