framing pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
What you are calling shaping is just another version of pulling IMO and is inconsitent with what NECC teaches.

You're half right. As a matter of fact, there are many things she is doing that is not consistent with what NECC teaches. The arm is not straight, there is no body lean, she's not back on her heels, etc. She's obviously not a NECC catcher.

Where you're wrong is that the ball was not caught, then pulled in. The pressure was on the outside of the ball so it was pushed in while in the process of catching the ball....but what NECC teaches has nothing to do with my question.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Terrible mechanics, NOT NECC. As said arm not straight, ect, ect. Good catchers recieve the ball the ball with thumb at noon or 6 o'clock, and rotate the hand around the ball. Good catcher present the pitch, they do not frame it. Good catchers do not present balls, they enhance the view of strikes for umpires. I have and still do coach a lot of NCAA catchers and what we see in most programs is just plain bad. I can barely watch these ladies on TV, so poorly coached and look foolish tipping the glove and leaning the heads inside and out. Good quality NCAA Umpires will tell you they are not helping, they are actually hindering the pitcher. They want to see the spot you are trying to hit, then demonstate you hit that spot with the pitch, that is how you present a borderline pitch. Rotate the the thumb to either noon or 6 depending on inside or outside pitch to show them the ball in the mitt and at the spot. If the Ump is in the slot where they should be they will get a peek of the ball in the mitt, hitting the spot.

Most important position on the field outside pitchers and worst and least coached. As said ealier in the thread most of them can hit. They are not catchers, most are good athletes that can play catcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish