Foul Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2019
Ball is hit for a short bouncer down 3rd base line. 3rd baseman takes an angle and stops it on the up bounce - fires it to first. Her feet were in foul territory (on the line already facing first)- her glove and the ball in fair. Ump calls foul. When questioned ump explained it was foul because “half her body was in foul territory”. Is that a rule? I thought it was where the ball is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
It is where the ball is touched, not where the body is, another bad call (more so bad explaination) I had the opposite call the other day, pop up on the first base line, 1B comes in about half a foot in foul territory, bounces out of her glove and lands fair, I called it foul and the coach went a little crazy, didn't understand the rule that it's where the ball is touched, not where it lands.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It is where the ball is touched, not where the body is, another bad call (more so bad explaination) I had the opposite call the other day, pop up on the first base line, 1B comes in about half a foot in foul territory, bounces out of her glove and lands fair, I called it foul and the coach went a little crazy, didn't understand the rule that it's where the ball is touched, not where it lands.

This exact play, but with the pitcher running over instead of the 1B, happened in one of our games last year. Umpire got the call (or at least, the rationale) correct. The other team's coach lost his mind because our pitcher was pretty much entirely in fair territory when she reached out for the ball.

I have no idea if the ball actually was foul when she touched it, but that's what the umpire said, so he was on solid ground. The coach from the other team didn't want to hear it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles