For Boardmember, 1984 men's fastpitch game in NZ.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
The NZ pitcher, Kevin Herlihy was one of the, if not THE best in the world and ranks in nearly everyone's top 5 of all time. And he did it "legal" without hopping. Of course, this was before composite bats and polycore balls.

You'll notice in NZ they pitch off a mat. This is to avoid big holes being dug. But after rain storms, they turn the mat around to avoid the plant foot landing on it and slipping. Those things become like ice when wet.

BM, as you watch Herlihy warming up in the beginning, you can really see his IR. And before anyone even suggests it.... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is not throwing a turn over drop!!!!

Bill

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm not BM...but...Billy.... I tried to tell you years ago.... FACEBOOK.

Anyways like you told DD years ago... take breaks every 10 min... then me "work her no longer than her attention span"
Now I'm telling You... you can't post stuff longer than the groups AttentionSpan. Out of an un-repayable debt to you for "Building the House" & "Road to the Rise"
I'm going to show you how your students interprets post.

No worries ...they are never going to get the pitching.... It's the hitting that got me in this thread... You gave it ALL up on one clip. Thank God it was in the 1st 15 min.
(my attention span)

<video width="472" height="352" controls="controls">
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/1-DPF/House_Built/Build%7EBarn.mp4" />
</video>

Paste.gif

T-Totally Pay Per View !!!! I mirrored a .gif for our southpaw friends.... I didn't go anyfuther.... but I bet he hits one in the clip. The hitter's need to look up GreenMonster's clip on check swings.... they didn't get that either.... :cool:

PS... FaceBook, DropBox, GameChanger & these talking heads were wrong too !!!

GeorgeJones Song.... "if you can't see the picture, then you won't read the writing on the wall" ~bible

... LOL

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thx again Bill for the Game....it's on my Drive....& my backup & my 2nd backup...

I got two pitching fixes & one hitting.... 18U here we come :cool:

Last edited:
The NZ pitcher, Kevin Herlihy was one of the, if not THE best in the world and ranks in nearly everyone's top 5 of all time. And he did it "legal" without hopping. Of course, this was before composite bats and polycore balls.

You'll notice in NZ they pitch off a mat. This is to avoid big holes being dug. But after rain storms, they turn the mat around to avoid the plant foot landing on it and slipping. Those things become like ice when wet.

BM, as you watch Herlihy warming up in the beginning, you can really see his IR. And before anyone even suggests it.... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is not throwing a turn over drop!!!!

Bill

Had the pleasure of playing a season with Kevin......great gentleman. When you have long arms and whip like he did it really negates the need for a lot of huffing/puffing/leaping/etc.

Aug 21, 2008
Rick, I don't know if you knew this but Kevin died about 8 years ago in a 4 wheeler accident. He wrote a book "striking out" which was 1/2 about his softball career and memories and 1/2 about his gambling addiction. He served several years in prison for fraud/theft as he was stealing the premiums from the insurance company he worked for and betting the horses. Finally getting caught, owing over $500K I think, he served time and wrote his book. The softball world embraced him on his return and he was coach for either (or both) of the National teams after his prison term. I think I have a copy of the book. I can find the ISBN # for anyone else wanting to look it up and buy it.

Bill

Jul 14, 2008
Thx for posting this Bill. He's got pretty good elbow snap as well. ;). Love to see the old schoolers who can bring it with a step vs. a hop.

Bill

Mar 13, 2010
In regards to chest protectors I'm surprised they were wearing leggings! Helmets weren't compulsory until the early 90s down here. I have pictures of me playing as a little girl without helmet.

And oh the mats. I HATE THEM. Pitching in them is annoying at the best of times when it's wet? I've fallen over many a time. I don't mind the fabric mats but the plastic ones are murder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez