First video of 9 year old dd...looking for advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2012

This is the first time to video my dd. We would love to have some input. This will be her first year 10U. She was a little nervous.

No problem at 9yrs old she has plenty of time for this journey. You will get lots of advice here so my suggestion is to pick one or two things at a time that make sense to you or seem to be something everyone agrees on then focus on those things then after a while come back and see if has improved, also maybe read through some of the old hitting thread on the forum.

The first thing I would suggest is some kind of negative movement she does not have any tilt/coil/load every thing is back and starts forward all at once.

Next would be her hands you can tell by the by she bends way down for a low pitch she is trying to get the plane of the bat level with the ball then extend the bat all the way around the ball.

If you are not exactly sure what I am talking about just post a comment and I can go in depth more and maybe come up with a drill or two, hopefully other will as well.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just real quick, I have to actually work today. Only got through the first swing on my slow loading phone...I like what she does from the waist down...I believe with some adjustments to the way she loads the top, she will have a nice swing all over.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
madison_zpsf2dffbef.gif

Jan 25, 2011
I would widen her stance. Now when she goes to stride she needs to land and try to keep her head from moving so much. If you look at the fence in the back ground with the yellow cap on it. See where your dd's head starts and as she strides how far it drops. My dd and I worked for awhile at getting her in a good athletic position in her stance as she strides she lands in the same position, keeping her head still. Good luck

Jan 21, 2013
Agree. She has done a good job of getting rid of wasted movement. Now get wide and remove that excess movement also.

Jan 25, 2011
I would work on one thing at a time. I would like to see a negative move with the hands, (walking away from the hands) as she strides the hands go back. So that she can start learning to get her hip, started before her hands, hips lead the hands. But don't push to much at her at one time. She looks good at 9yo and you have time, keep it fun, praise her all the time.

R

RayR

Best thing you can do right now is preset the back foot so it is pigeon toed and get her comfortable with turning the upper body back - let her figure out how to unwind from that set up....remember never turn back so that you can't have a good 2 eye look at the ball....

14ky7uq.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321