First scare as a coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2013
First inning of a DH this weekend - my youngest pitcher (10U team, she's league age 8) is starting the game and going along ok. Cleanup comes up and hits the first pitch like a rocket and hits my pitcher in the shoulder and bounces off her mask. Girl goes down in a heap. Once time called, we run out there and she's in a bit of pain but says she is ok. I thought she took it off the mask and then got the shoulder (thankfully it was the other way). She finished the inning and came off and promptly started crying and her shoulder was bruised already.

Called mom today and she's sore but fine - thank god for wearing the mask and it wasn't a few inches up and to the left.

Aug 9, 2013
Composite bats are more prevalent in travel ball as well. The ball flies hard and fast.

I'm so glad she is ok but right after it happened, my mind was thinking the worst.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Our lead pitcher DRILLED one at her opposing pitcher in a game this weekend. Bruised her arm cause she put it up in a defensive reaction. Inning later, Our Lead Pitcher is DRILLED by a hit in the bicep. We are 12U. As they get older the hits get harder and playing in multiple games per day in the heat where you may possibly loose a step of focus here or there I totally get wearing a mask. A few inches higher and both of these girls would've taken it in the face. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Jan 24, 2009
My kid nailed two pitchers in consecutive games this weekend in 16U, and buzzed the tower with a lazer in another game. Fortunately none were face shots and only one of the pitchers had to be removed from the game. Each of these instances was the first pitch of the at-bat, the 'get ahead in the count' pitch FWIW.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Face Mask and EvoShield chest protector plus evoshield shin gaurds when my kid is pitching. The one game she did not wear her shin guards she got drilled in the shin. It is not worth it to me to risk getting hurt. Our local rec baseball league did not require face mask in their 10u team. The second week a kid gets hit in the face with a fast ball and breaks his nose. By the end of the season he was back to batting without a face mask. Another kid got hit in the nose and broke it. I just cannot understand why you would not make it mandatory at the younger ages to wear face mask while batting and atleast make softball pitchers wear head gear at the younger ages.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I just cannot understand why you would not make it mandatory at the younger ages to wear face mask while batting and atleast make softball pitchers wear head gear at the younger ages.

Maybe personal choice? That alone should be enough to help you understand.

I don't want you or anyone else telling me what my DD can or can't wear on the field any more than you want me telling you about your DD's suit of armor she wears.

Adults still have the right to make decisions - however stupid they may be - in this country. Well, at least for now they do. Stay tuned that could be changing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd