First Basemen Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The more important that lead runner is and the quicker you field the ball, the more likely the throw should go to third. Any hesitation or bobble in fielding the ball, the throw goes to first for the surest out. In either case, she better be seeing someone at or arriving at the bag AND someone backing it up.

Oct 10, 2013
I would say it depends what the game situation is. Are the next batters 3-4-5? How's my pitcher doing? Is it late in game and I'm up by 3 or down by 1? Speed of the girl @ 2nd....

I would say no set rule for 12u A level and up.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This is at the 16U level, my daughter switched teams this year, her previous coach told her to go for lead runner, new coach wants the sure out.

I guess you have your answer then. Go for the sure out, sometimes that's at third depending on the runners.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Score dependent/runner determines who is playing up. Daughter's team is typically go 1st with immediate throw behind 3rd in case runner rounds. 18's They don't want ss breaking early and giving up a hard push up the middle allowing automatic score by girl on 2nd. Pitcher covers 3 if ball goes to ss.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The only really correct answer is to make the throw to the base called by the catcher as they are the only fielder who can see the entire play developing in front of them.

ETA Trying to be less of a smartazz, I will note that the call by the catcher depends on the game situation and other factors discussed in prior posts. At higher levels of play the fielder will not have time to look, decide, then try to get an out.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Let me set the scenario:

• Lefty 1st basemen with strong arm
  • Runners on first & second - one or no outs

Corners are in for bunt, batter bunts to the right side

First basemen fields the ball, where does throw go:

This is a situation where the coach should let the defense know their expectations. If the winning run is at 3B, then the throw goes home. If you are up by 5 runs and could care less about one run scoring the throw goes to 1B. In a perfect world the 1B fields the bunt, checks the runner at 3B and make a throw to 2B covering 1B for an our while holding the lead runner at 3B. A great play would be for 1B to field the bunt, tag the batter coming up the line AND hold the runner at 3B.

If the offensive coach calls a suicide squeeze and the runner on 3B breaks on the pitchers release, there is very little chance to get the runner at home regardless of how cleanly the ball is fielded. We practice that often (good for base runner skills, bunting, and defense) and we probably get the out at home 15-20% of the time. Our base runner does not slide as we do not want any injuries in practice.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Dang it, between the OP and your post the runners stole 2nd and 3rd.

LOL - my bad! That is what I get for trying to do real work and post on DFP at the same time! With runners on 1st and 2nd the catcher should call where the throw should go, but trying to get the lead runner at 3rd base is a bigger risk than taking the out at 1B.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The fact that two of your DD's 16U coaches seem to think there is an absolute answer without regard to the many other factors that should be considered is concerning. Maybe look for a more enlightened answer from #3. :)

Sep 18, 2011
Let me set the scenario:

• Lefty 1st basemen with strong arm
  • Runners on first & second - one or no outs

Corners are in for bunt, batter bunts to the right side

First basemen fields the ball, where does throw go:

Not NEARLY enough information to form an opinion. What's the score? What inning? Where is the offensive team in their batting order? How fast is the runner on second? I'm sure I could go on and on. The one thing I wouldn't do is throw home as JAD advised. That must be a Georgia thing, but it does explain a lot. :)

Also - there is a huge difference between 0 outs and 1 out. If you already have one out, I take the out at first pretty much 100% of the time. I mean maybe if the runner on second was ridiculously slow and the bunt was very hard... but 1B would have to be 100% certain that she could get the lead runner. My two cents.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi