Finally!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Our HS ball is 6 days a week, 3 hours a day, so TB is not an option....not to mention the risk of injury!

Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
Middle school here in non sanctioned, no travel ball practice or games allowed. We play on Tuesday, Thursdays, and double header on Saturdays. We do not practice at all, and if weather is bad we may not do anything for a week. I am not sure why it would hurt to practice with a TB team, with no TB games until Ms ball is done is fine.

Mar 10, 2016
As a TB coach I like the rule (not to play during school) for the burnout factor. On the other hand when I go to a MS school practice and see 16 - 19 players with just one coach, I can't help but think their development slows down. If feel for those coaches in that position too.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
On the other hand when I go to a MS school practice and see 16 - 19 players with just one coach, I can't help but think their development slows down. If feel for those coaches in that position too.

I have 17 this season, but none of them are true TB players. Most play at the community-select level and a few rec players. I am focusing on one thing for the season: throwing. Since we practice every day, I see an opportunity to help them throw better - if they want to work at it. But it is a lot like herding cats when we do any sort of drill.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Our HS ball is 6 days a week, 3 hours a day, so TB is not an option....not to mention the risk of injury!

This is true, but this rule in TN has only been adopted temporarily until next February in Middle School only, not HS. And not all of TN is under the middle school sanction (Nashville/Davidson county does not even offer softball in middle). Next Feb they are voting on an up/down as to continue this and i'm sure they will.

Here is my .02, I realize that most are not getting the "instructions" that they would on their travel squad (some do, my daughters middle school coach was an ex-player and very beneficial), but that bond that they get playing with girls from their school is so much more important in LIFE than practicing with the 12U or 14U travel squad. DD is now a freshman, so all this is behind her, but I would have not allowed her to play middle school and travel at the same time. I know its different in GA where the school ball season is in the Fall. These friends at middle and hs are really good friends and hopefully even past their playing days. (same with the travel team girls, but just not quite the same since they are more spread out, logistically.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877