feeder teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2013
My daughter is only 10but I'm starting to wonder about a few things. She had an opportunity to play for a feeder travel team for a d1 school over the weekend. She plays on a travel team and they are gonna be very good that being said she could probably get on that team but it would be over a2 hour drive from me just to practice and they play at least that far away from me. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this situation,does anyone have any suggestions

Jun 24, 2013
I know people do this but that is way too long of a commute. If she is interested in the school going to some of their clinics might be a better option.

Jul 2, 2013
Focus the majority of the players energy on becoming a better player when young. Think how much batting cage practice, and defensive practice can be done in the 4 hours it takes to drive to and fro.

If she is currently on a very good, competitive local A level travel team, that is enough to get where you want to go. Play A level or above always if college softball is on your mind.

Only a select few ballplayers get recruited under 14 years old. The time to focus energy on playing for a team to get the most exposure is around that age.

If your player becomes a dominate A level ballplayer, she will get recruited. I have seen many a player work super hard to become dominant. Then be invited to a super travel org. later to get the most exposure. Get the scholly in short order, and return back to local A level play.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its the million dollar question ...
My dd was offered spots on a few big name programs, the closest being about 45 min away. That's an hour and a half just to practice and back. Multiplied by three or four days a week! No thanks. So, I started our own club ball here locally. The down side is we don't have the big name recognition as some others, but I still have time for my dd2 and my grass gets cut once a week!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I guess if at the ripe old age of 10 she has decided to that is her school you should jump on the opportunity and repaint her room in the appropriate school colors.

Otherwise I would seek out a team with a more balanced approach to recruiting where they do a great job of matching the skills and aspirations of the athlete to multiple schools.

May 12, 2013
I don't know how many girls have went there from this team that's why I was asking the question. And about the division 1 university it's really the closest one to us. And I know she is only 10 but time goes by so fast I'm just trying to get some opinions from experienced parents.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Cut he grass? I would need a snowblower for that.
Lol... let me rephrase. In the summer, I still have time to cut my grass.
Meaning, when we were with a bigger program, we were gone EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND! Plus three practices a week, and we were seeing a pc once a week! My younger dd might as well of had a single mom raising her. My yard looked like a joke. The big programs have their benefits, but be sure to see the whole picture before committing.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...gone EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND! Plus three practices a week, and we were seeing a pc once a week! ...

Double that and she will have an idea what to expect in college. If you plan to watch her, forget about your yard and the house. We bought a new car last April and we already have 20K on it. We miss the laid back days of TB :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG