Feedback 9 yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Welcome to the board, Conan!

She looks awesome... and you've done a great job, seriously.

Like Ken suggested, a backside angle of video would be most helpful.

• One thing that sticks out to me is that she could improve her palm-up at 9, her elbow should be pointing towards the ground. This will make a nice difference in spin/speed.
  • Her front-side timing is actually quite decent, and she gets a nice overlap in her backswing. This said, she could stand to turn the volume up on her drive... and really focus on pushing sooner/harder with the drive foot... as the stride knee is coming out. Her actual push with the drive foot happens too late, hence the leap. Better explained... she's striding and THEN pushing... the drive and stride should happen at the same time. This is the reason why I like the 2-step... because the pitcher can use the slide and slight lift of the drive foot as a cue to give the push everything she has the moment it comes into contact with the plate.
  • As others have suggested, I'd guess she is trying to make way for the ball during release. I like Ken's suggestions... but I think we'd both agree that some video from behind might be more telling/helpful.

All-in-all... there is much, much more good than 'bad' with her... she's very talented. Also, you seem to know a fair deal... would love to see you become a an extra voice on this board.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not sure this pic of AS shows as much palm up as is desired, but it does show a great bend and upper arm pulling the lower arm:

CTG2.JPGASPU.JPG

I also like how the shot of AS shows the ball in a lagged position--trailing and being pulled down by the lower arm.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Not sure this pic of AS shows as much palm up as is desired, but it does show a great bend and upper arm pulling the lower arm:

View attachment 6379View attachment 6380

I also like how the shot of AS shows the ball in a lagged position--trailing and being pulled down by the lower arm.

And the position of the elbow... notice Amanda's elbow is pointing in the direction of her rear foot (the ground)... and Conan's DD's elbow is pointing towards first...

Nice comparison, Ken!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Lot of palm up comments... I honestly didn't focus on that. Let me process this valuable info and I'll post more videos!

Thanks

Whipping the ball requires lag. When the lower arm, hand and ball are pulled down in lag, the potential for whip is maximized. When any of these are not in lag, some potential is missed. A straight arm moving fast is just a simple catapult. An arm with multiple flexed joints becomes more complex—maybe like a trebuchet. A ball being pulled down and whipped can reach a higher speed more efficiently than one pushed.

I’m sure there’s a much better scientifical explernation, but that’s out of my league…

Aug 13, 2014
And the position of the elbow... notice Amanda's elbow is pointing in the direction of her rear foot (the ground)... and Conan's DD's elbow is pointing towards first...

Nice comparison, Ken!

I have also noticed this and I have no idea what to do about it! Im assuming a lil more focus on palm up may help this. Im not sure if this #1 on the list.. Posture/whip/ Brush interference tops the list for now!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This shot confirms what was expected. Work on whip, brush, and posture.

CTG3.JPG

I would put palm up near the top of the list of to help promote pulling the ball into whip. It's so much easier to feel "it" when starting loose and lagged.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Ken I am aware of this if you can see in the first post of this thread!

Ken how would you correct posture? Drills? I listed my proposal earlier...Did you see it? What do you think?

Thanks guys!

Conan- you seem really familiar, is there a chance you have posted here before under a different name? You remind me of a poster named at various points "cool hand" "left hook" etc. If you are not this person then my apologies, but if you are then please respect the board and make sure this does not get ugly like it did the last few times, I can already see the seeds of discord starting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi