Feed Back needed on 12U DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2012
Would like to hear what you guys think we need to work on with her swing. She has been topping the ball a lot lately and some loss of power.

Full speed...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not seeing an unloading of the angle in her wrists into impact, and she is basically pushing the ball off the tee with her hands too far in front of her body. It seems like she generates good bat speed early in the swing, and "turns the barrel" well, but is missing the final acceleration that comes from releasing the wrist angle.

(Note - I'm no swing expert, just a dad trying to learn about this stuff, too.)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Also...

Her hips and hands are coming forward at the same time, which is leading to the hands being too far forward at impact. The right hip should be fired forward before the hands.

This might help to understand the sequence of movements...Casey Matrix 2013 - YouTube

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I agree but, when some one post in the practical thread. It's like dipping your toe in the pool. Sometimes you just need to jump in the deep end.
How about this dad(posters dad) what do you see good and bad?

May 16, 2010
Would like to hear what you guys think we need to work on with her swing. She has been topping the ball a lot lately and some loss of power.

Full speed...

I agree with some others that she is turning as a unit instead of the hips leading.

She might be topping the ball because she is lifting her hands up, just as she goes into contact.

The hands do need to stay above the ball, but they shouldn't lift. Have her practice driving the ball horizontal. Think of the barrel going through the ball. Meaning that the path is level from just an inch before contact to an inch in front of the ball.

Apr 23, 2012
How about this dad(posters dad) what do you see good and bad?

Good things i see, is that she is driving off her back leg more than she has done in the past, the flaring up has calmed down from the past but still could use a little work on staying through the ball a little longer.

Bad things I see, is she needs to coil around her back hip a little more and get her hands back more when loading the hands. She also needs to stay through the ball longer before pulling off.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She might be topping the ball because she is lifting her hands up, just as she goes into contact.

The hands do need to stay above the ball, but they shouldn't lift. Have her practice driving the ball horizontal. Think of the barrel going through the ball. Meaning that the path is level from just an inch before contact to an inch in front of the ball.

Her head and upper body are lifting, too. The changing level and twist of her head through the swing will affect how she sees the ball during flight. Keeping the level and twist of the eyes more consistent will promote more consistent contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523