Fan viewing location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
A local ASA umpire says that a "coach" cannot be behind the backstop. And since everyone visits their DD at the dugout, he assumes everyone is a "coach". And he pulls that card anytime he wants. I mount my camera behind the backstop before the game starts and start/stop well after the inning starts or stops, or he will call dead ball and kick me out. I should note, this is local REC ball and I have never seen this anywhere else.....ever. :)

A coach cannot be outside the team area, so if the umpire is using that excuse then he needs to require all the parents to be inside the dugout.

Nov 3, 2012
A local ASA umpire says that a "coach" cannot be behind the backstop. And since everyone visits their DD at the dugout, he assumes everyone is a "coach". And he pulls that card anytime he wants. I mount my camera behind the backstop before the game starts and start/stop well after the inning starts or stops, or he will call dead ball and kick me out. I should note, this is local REC ball and I have never seen this anywhere else.....ever. :)

The "Go Pro" mount situation is related to this topic. I now see more and more "GO Pros" mounted on the fence during travel teams. I also see more sophisticated technical setups of "Go Pros". Can an umpire say take that down, if it was behind them? I suppose the umpire can always use a weak excuse that the camera is in a spot that is distracting the kids. Im not sure if it applies to Softball, but I've learned in other sports the National High School Federation has rules that say you can't film another competitor (when not playing your team), but you only can film your team or your kid. Is there anything in travel softball that would be similar to that?

Somebody mentioned that Umps occasionally wont let people stand behind the home plate fence with radar guns or pocket radar, or even a camera? What if its a college coach at an exposure. Doesn't that seem counter intuitive. Don't you want the coaches timing your kids?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What is outside the fence and dugout area is out of the umpire purview with very few exceptions, none of which involve the spectators

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego

This is usually the "rabbit ears" umpire...see a lot of those...had one at DD's D3 game last season who literally came out from behind the catcher, turned and looked at me after I gave a heavy sigh on a called ball...:rolleyes:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
While the umpires do not have control over spectator viewing area, many programs and city parks have taken it on themselves to do it.

This year I have seen more blocked backstops with darker netting than in previous years. I am also seeing several fields with signs indicating you cannot set up tents/chairs behind the backstop and multiple fields with the 'they are just kids...' sign up.

Honestly, I can't say I blame them. Some spectators just can't help themselves.

Nov 3, 2012
While the umpires do not have control over spectator viewing area, many programs and city parks have taken it on themselves to do it.

This year I have seen more blocked backstops with darker netting than in previous years. I am also seeing several fields with signs indicating you cannot set up tents/chairs behind the backstop and multiple fields with the 'they are just kids...' sign up.

Honestly, I can't say I blame them. Some spectators just can't help themselves.

In the Majors, the seats behind home plate are the most expensive. Why make it more difficult for the fans/parents to see the game from a less advantageous spot. I they worried Marlin Man is a going to show up in a bright orange jersey and distract the pitcher.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In the Majors, the seats behind home plate are the most expensive. Why make it more difficult for the fans/parents to see the game from a less advantageous spot. I they worried Marlin Man is a going to show up in a bright orange jersey and distract the pitcher.

Because $$$$$$$$$$$$$, older players, more experienced umpires and mostly non-relatives.

So yeah, it is not about the best view. it would be great if the parents were just back there to watch.

Especially new parents, younger ages and rec, many parents haven't learned perspective - and some never do. A strike or ball call is a direct attack on their little cupcake. I've seen grown men yelling at 14 year old volunteer umpires over a strike call in an 8U rec game. The amount of noise and 'advice' I have heard over the years from the parents at the backstop area and right in view of their kid... or not their kid or... Sure, they can still make the same noise from the stands, but not in the poor kids eyesight helps and actually means the coaches may be able to intervene as well. I was in the stands for a few weeks recently as my DD was guesting and there were conversations going on that I just don't notice when I am on the other side of the fence.

Having the backstop area clear isn't the worst idea in the world for some divisions.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

IMO those are some of the worse seats in any stadium if you are actually there to watch a ball game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32