Facing Adam Folkard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Now I know what DD's former D1 hitting coach meant when she said she didn't see the first two pitches Monica Abbott threw her!

Jan 25, 2011
Seeing him and some of other best men's pitchers in the world live is something you have to see.

Jun 13, 2009
DD and I took a trip to Erie a couple years ago to watch BH pitch. As luck would have it, Adam Folkard was pitching against him in the local city league. Oddly enough, despite their teams being the fiercest of rivals on the field, Bill and Adam are close friends and Adam stays at his house during the summer, along with another Australian (who's considered by many to be the #1 hitter in the world from what I have read): Nick Shailes... and he played in the game too also playing for Folkard's team on weekends. Watching those 2 pitch against each other was not only the most fun I've had at a ballpark (that didn't have my DD playing) but, I never realized BH was such a good hitter, hit 3rd for his team!! He ripped (and I mean hit it hard) a shot through the hole between 3rd and SS off Folkard. And he struck out in his next bat. Bill's team won the game 1-0 on a wild pitch/passed ball (could go either way) in the 7th inning. Watching Folkard was jaw dropping. The ball looks like a baseball in his hand. It's just something the folks on this board have to experience if you've never seen it. The game was played in such a relaxed atmosphere and Bill would come up into the stands between innings, Folkard stayed in dugout somewhat recluse. Probably because he's not from there and doesn't have people to go talk too!!! I remember asking Bill about the crow hopping and how he can hit off someone throwing so unbelievably hard as it is but also having to adjust to the motion of leaping so close to homeplate. He just smiled, shrugged and said the ball still has to cross the plate. It's funny how as parents we go up in arms about a small leap/hop/crowhop and that's the attitude these guys take. Rules are the same, technically crow hopping is illegal but nobody seems to care. Anyway, this video doesn't do Folkard justice even though it's really cool to watch.

CG

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just awesome!!! But remember that leaping/crow hopping does not provide any competitive advantage whatsoever! Just ask any parent or coach of a skippie, they will explain it in great detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole