"Elite Camp"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2012
We had an interesting weekend, we took our DD to the University of Oregon Elite high school camp. I saw the advertisement on their web page price seemed right, it was with a decent driving distance and we have family in Eugene so no hotel cost. On their web site they said they would be a limit of 60 players max, even better.
Arrived Friday night for check in there was over 80 players, they handed out colored tank top for teams and started evaluations and some instructions, DD learned a different grip for her rise so she liked that. Saturday was tour of the athletic facility and scrimmages with some instruction while the the other teams were scrummaging. Sunday morning more of the same. As the camp broke up and they were handing out the t-shirts (very nice ones btw) there were a lot of players and parents standing around waiting to talk to the coaches, my DW and I looked at each other with kind of blank expressions and wandered if we should get in line, DD is a 2017 and would love to play after high school but is she D-1 most likely not, were 90% there D-1 most likely not. I did tell my DD after we got home to drop the coaches a thank you email, she loved the players that were her coaches and met some new friends that I am sure she will meet up with during summer ball.
I think we got out of weekend what we wanted, DD was worried if she was up to the higher level of play for the the high school season (totally answered that question) and a chance to get some really good work in before the season.
would we do this again, yes, no way would travel very far for this type of camp. I do wish it would have been 20 less players though 80 was to much.
Thanks O of U for a fun weekend.
We are thinking for going to the On-deck camp in the bay area, is it worth the trip for that? ideas please and Amanda if you read this please stay on DFP after showing your Power Drive video that is on your blog with your narration to my DD she watch it another 3 times and has added some speed to her pitching, thanks a million.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
98.2% of college camps are money makers, so coaches are going to get as many girls as they can reasonably handle into the camp.

Jul 10, 2012
I am not saying my DD didn't not have a good time she had a great time, and she proved to herself that she can play at that level, she hit off every pitcher she faced, I watched all the pitchers on Friday night and saw only one girl over 60mph didn't see anyone I would consider lights outs. I think she is going to the try the OnDeck tryout in the bay area and the 2 Huskies camps this summer. GO HAWKS!!!!

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
At what age to kids normally start going to the "Elite" camps? DD is a 2018 and has gone to some of the Oregon all skills and pitching clinics the past couple of years and seemed to be on the younger side even at those.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I do not consider myself an expert on "elite camps", but I will have to say that the OnDeck camp my DD attended was head and shoulders above anything else we have done as far as talent.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I would say that if your dddad is truly not a D1 prospect, then skip the OnDeck tryout.

I understand the message but it's still irritating. DD was told when she was 12 since she didn't throw upper 50s at that time that she should stop pitching. If she had listened, she wouldn't be mulling opportunities now.

If your DD is serious about softball, and you can afford it, send her to one of these Upper Deck tryouts - it will clearly send a message as to what is going to be expected for her to become a serious player. Even if she doesn't get an invite to a future showcase, going to the tryout would be worth the learning experience. JMHO.

Mar 25, 2011
I didn't see the post. But, by the quote, can infer what was said, and totally understand it. My dd is on the smaller side, always has been confronted repeatedly with the challenge of not matching up with the 'pitchers' around her when it comes to just plain heat. On the other hand, she is a pitcher...and, if you are, there is no skirting that. You have a certain competitive drive, a certain edge to your play, and an unwillingness to relent when under pressure.

Even so, that does not mean she belongs at one of the 'elite' camps... her heart and competitive spirit may mean her head belongs there, but if her physical abilities don't place her there, then she might not belong. I don't mind the challenges right now, as I like feeding her the Patrick Roy story, of him being told he can't do it, can't play it, won't be it... and then he went on to be one of the best goalies in hockey, ever.

She pitches because she loves it. Not because she is the best. She loves to pitch. She plays softball because she loves it. It's easy to remind people about there motivation when it is what they love to do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321