elbow issues?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2014
DD pitched at a lesson this weekend and started complaining about her elbow. Not necessarily pain but she said it felt like there was something that felt a little different. I figured we'd give her a week before trying to pitch again. Made me wonder if softball pitchers suffer from elbow issues. I know about the risk of back and knee injuries. How common are elbow problems?

does she throw a curve ball? i recently attended a college camp and anyone younger than 13 was not allowed to participate in the curve ball session due to the instructors' belief that the curve ball put too much stress on the elbow.

i was kind of surprised because i didn't think that this was an issue.

May 7, 2014
She threw the curveball a little bit during the fall season but has not really thrown it consistently since. She threw it in practice last week, however.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Although pitching injuries are significantly less than injuries in other sports... the most common injuries to pitchers would be shoulder and elbow. Another reason why I/R is the way to go... stabilization of the upper-arm during the whip allows energy to pass to the ball more efficiently. For those that over-rotate their shoulders into release (read: close a little too much)... the instability of the humerus creates a much larger force at the elbow.

Surely... people will tell you to see a doctor - but if you'd like, post some video - and we'll see if there are some mechanical improvements that could lessen the possible stress.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would get an 250 watt infraredbulb & shine on the point of pain. 12-16 in. as much as she can handle, for 20min. Wait about 10 min. then look to see where the sploching is. The red spots that stay the longest is the problem location. Stop all causes of this...JMHO

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hi, We need to see her pitch and know her age and experience. Pitching should not hurt. But, of course, that isn't what she is saying. "Being tired" is certainly OK.

May 7, 2014
Thanks for all your advice guys. I'm going to post some film next week some time as I don't really have any good film on her now. She's 14 by the way and is a strong, solid kid. What I mean by that is that her body is not small or still developing. So it's not growing pains or anything like that.

Jul 14, 2008
29ql9c0.gif
TROLL ALERT!! TROLL ALERT!!
29ql9c0.gif

Posters here have also noticed elbow issues when the kid practices palm up on the backside of the circle, which makes sense because that is like a curveball.

Whoa Whoa Whoa Wait a minute..........You think you can just slip this in without being noticed?

PROVE your BS claim......Link to a post where complaints have been DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE to palm upon the backside of the circle you TROLL

Practicing Palm up at 9:00 IS NOTHING LIKE THROWING A CURVE BALL.........Certain Curves balls are delivered palm up from start to finish.

Moving from PALM UP TO PALM DOWN THROUGH RELEASE ISN'T ANYTHING LIKE THROWING A CURVEBALL.

29ql9c0.gif
END TROLL ALERT!!
29ql9c0.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877