Easton Mako gear?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Does anyone here use the Easton Mako catcher gear? I'm looking to buy DD new gear and have been looking like crazy at all my local SG stores. I was originally looking into the Schutt Scorpion set but i couldn't find a store that has them to fit them on DD. Out off all the gear she has been able to try on, Easton Mako fit the best but it's also one of the most expensive set. Before I drop that kind of cash, is are there any known issues with this set? Has anyone here used or currently uses this set. Any pros or cons to consider would be helpful.

FYI, I am only getting the chest protector and leg guards since I will not be replacing her helmet at this time

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I haven't been able to find a SoCal store that carries Schutt gear, but the widest selection of in-stock options you'll probably find is at Monkey Sports in Irvine.

That said, I purchased the Scorpion chest and S3 legs for my DD online, and my DD loves them. A teammate of hers has a new set of All-Star gear that is pretty awesome, too. The knee padding in the Schutt and All-Star gear is top-notch. I haven't seen the Mako gear for myself, so I can't really comment on how it is.

Just for the fun of it, a glamour shot of our catcher-beasts...
10615622_10204951506573884_8492634358176374518_n.jpg

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
DD is on the larger size. It's been really hard to trust sizes online without fitting them on her first. I'm usually an online shopping nut but I really want to make sure I get DD gear that fits her right. If I could find a store that had the scorpion chest protector in size 16.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD is on the larger size. It's been really hard to trust sizes online without fitting them on her first. I'm usually an online shopping nut but I really want to make sure I get DD gear that fits her right. If I could find a store that had the scorpion chest protector in size 16.

For that size, I'd be looking hard at the Wilson ProMotion chest, too. There has been lots of good feedback about how well it fits and moves. Also, it looks like Monkey Sports carries the Wilson gear. If you buy online, just make sure the seller has a good return policy.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Softball Rampage does free returns if that helps - we had to order 8 catcher's helmets before we found the one that "fit just right". My DD has an All Star chest protector & Mizuno Samurai guards...

Feb 12, 2014
+1 on the Wilson recommendation. We just had a ton of gear at the house for DD to try on and the Wilson stuff was ouststanding.

Softball Savings is running a heck of a deal on the prices for the Wilson stuff as well, but no free returns from them.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
New team colors new gear. DD doesn't like the head opening that has to be stretched to put on so that narrows down our search. She prefers to wear a small Rawlings coolflo but I'm concerned it is not padded enough for 18U and could get hurt from a foul tip to the ribs or collar bone. I wish you could try on some of these before you buy them but the local stores only carry a few.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I live in a populated area, it appears a lot of you do too. Around here they have bat days were a manufacture or distributor brings all their products out to a facility for players to try. Do they have something similar for catcher’s gear?

We have some Easton bat days, tell them to bring their C gear too.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Alright, finally got a chance to hit up Monkey Sports and had DD fitted with a couple different sets of gear. Unfortunately no Schutt gear. DD, DW and I all really liked and decided to get Wilson Promotion. I feel bad for fitting the gear on at the store and then walking out to the parking lot and buying the chest and leg guards for almost 60% off of MSRP online lol. Now it's just a waiting game, should get her by the 10th. Thanks for all the suggestion, honestly I was really close to getting the Mako gear and I would have never really looked into Wilson if not for you guys.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06