Drills for correcting swimmers arm??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Curious what some have done to eliminate or reduce swimmers arm in pitchers. Daughter is 10YO....throws well but struggles with it.

Video of her pitching below....I think if it works!

10u Fastpitch pitcher - YouTube

10u Fastpitch pitcher 2 - YouTube

Well, I don't know how you define struggling because your DD looks pretty darn good to me- looks like she throws extremely well for 10 with solid mechanics. I will just say what others here have said, which is that a swimming arm is a not always a problem- it is when it is pulling the front shoulder out so that the pitcher does not get open, but that does not seem to be an issue for your DD so I would not dwell on it. Things you can remind her- is to try to keep the palm of her glove hand towards third, rather than towards first (for RHP) which IMO allows her arm to fly out more easily. The two arms should almost mirror each other as they come down. Anyway- I would not really consider this a big issue for her. just my 2 cents

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Curious what some have done to eliminate or reduce swimmers arm in pitchers. Daughter is 10YO....throws well but struggles with it.

She is very strong and athletic. What drop ball do you say she is throwing? I say she is throwing a roll over drop, I'd change her to the peel drop...and see some of Bill Hillhouse's pitching clinics on youtube. He does these clinics for the benefit of other pitching coaches and parents of young pitchers just starting out. He keeps it simple and easy to understand.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.

She is very strong and athletic. What drop ball do you say she is throwing? I say she is throwing a roll over drop, I'd change her to the peel drop...and see some of Bill Hillhouse's pitching clinics on youtube. He does these clinics for the benefit of other pitching coaches and parents of young pitchers just starting out. He keeps it simple and easy to understand.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Well, I don't know how you define struggling because your DD looks pretty darn good to me- looks like she throws extremely well for 10 with solid mechanics. I will just say what others here have said, which is that a swimming arm is a not always a problem- it is when it is pulling the front shoulder out so that the pitcher does not get open, but that does not seem to be an issue for your DD so I would not dwell on it. Things you can remind her- is to try to keep the palm of her glove hand towards third, rather than towards first (for RHP) which IMO allows her arm to fly out more easily. The two arms should almost mirror each other as they come down. Anyway- I would not really consider this a big issue for her. just my 2 cents

You can't see a rollover drop that she is throwing around her hip?

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.

You can't see a rollover drop that she is throwing around her hip?

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Lacking your obvious exhaustive and valuable fastpitch experience that is currently contributing so greatly to this site, I did not see that she was throwing a rollover drop around her hip. mea culpa

Sorry sftballdad1 for my mistake- (but I still think your 10 YO looks great and would not sweat the arm swim right now, just encourage her to think about balancing the motion of her glove and pitching arms a bit more).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. I see a swim and I would encourage her not to keep using the glove side like that, due to the stress that it creates on the shoulder joint. Plus, it does nothing to help the pitch.
I would start her out with a lot of power k's and encourage her to punch the glove forward, letting the elbow come back into the rib cage.

A bigger problem than the glove swim is her forward lean. I am very impressed with her pitching. If she cleans up her posture, I think that she will be awesome.

Dec 7, 2011
My advice - don't get caught up in the "swim witch-hunt". Make sure she "glove-shoves" initially toward the plate and then let it be.......

Mar 31, 2013
Yes. I see a swim and I would encourage her not to keep using the glove side like that, due to the stress that it creates on the shoulder joint. Plus, it does nothing to help the pitch.
I would start her out with a lot of power k's and encourage her to punch the glove forward, letting the elbow come back into the rib cage.

A bigger problem than the glove swim is her forward lean. I am very impressed with her pitching. If she cleans up her posture, I think that she will be awesome.

Thanks Amy. Yes her leaning is very gradually getting better, but you are Correct. She does lean and it needs to go... Hard to break. Been dealing with that for awhile now. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd