Drag Foot Drag; A rudder or an anchor?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Thank you everyone for your input...I appreciate it. Starsnuffer...by loading, do you mean using the legs? Sorry...I am just the "mom" and trying to decipher the language. Also, by the leap, do you mean the stride? She actually has a pretty long stride (compared to others I have seen). I have even gone as far as trying to have her crow hop (just to get the feel of the weight being forward and the resistance off the drag foot) but she can't do it. She has a hard time.

Hey Cola,

Carly, one of the pitching instructors that posts here frequently, has an article on this that can explain it better then me trying to summarize. It can be found here: Is Your Pre-motion Hurting Your Pitch? Find out if you're fake-loading

By loading, yes, I mean using the legs, or rather preparing the body and center of gravity to use the legs during the motion before the pitch. By the leap, I mean the stride. Yes, your daughter has a "long" stride, but she is not propelling herself off the rubber with her pivot (rear or left) foot. She is stepping long. What she should be doing is exploding off the rubber as if she were doing a standing long jump. You can try having her put the ball down and doing a few standing long jumps to get a feel for it. Work on this before you worry about that back leg.

-W

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not saying I completely agree with you about Jordan, but I really like Carly's video. Wish we had a sticky for videos or posts that receive popular vote.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
IMO, illegal pitches are not the priority. I think she's got tons of potential, but she's really fighting herself.

Feb 14, 2013
This is GREAT...thank you! I am a visual learner so this really helped! And yes, she is "reverse-loading" now that I see it. I really appreciate the link! :)

Hey Cola,

Carly, one of the pitching instructors that posts here frequently, has an article on this that can explain it better then me trying to summarize. It can be found here: Is Your Pre-motion Hurting Your Pitch? Find out if you're fake-loading

By loading, yes, I mean using the legs, or rather preparing the body and center of gravity to use the legs during the motion before the pitch. By the leap, I mean the stride. Yes, your daughter has a "long" stride, but she is not propelling herself off the rubber with her pivot (rear or left) foot. She is stepping long. What she should be doing is exploding off the rubber as if she were doing a standing long jump. You can try having her put the ball down and doing a few standing long jumps to get a feel for it. Work on this before you worry about that back leg.

-W

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
cola3812,
After watching Jordan's video a couple more times, I'm starting to see what starsnuffer is seeing and wonder if you could post a better quality video from the side when time allows.

I'd also like to confirm if I'm seeing the orientation of the palm during the downswing. In the posted video, I think I see her had on top of the ball. The elbow is whipping some, but if her palm is down, she could really add to her whip by turning it more palm up.

Thanks,
Ken

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
To help the pitcher feel their toe, Put this in front of the pitchers plate,
tire-chocks-1500-series_1_zps55841ee8.jpg
and then the drag foot on this tire chock ($3-$5). Do the motion without the ball and then pitch using it.

I also like for pitchers to get into a sprinters start on the pitchers plate, with/without the tire chock. Do the motion without the ball and then have them start with the ball between their feet and then "sprint" and pitch. You will see the biggest smile come across their face when the walk back to do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd