DP/Flex and AP Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2013
Under USSSA rules, a team can utilize the DP/Flex and/or up to two APs. Last weekend a team was using the DP/Flex and one AP in their line-up. In the first inning, the Flex was not in the field and was replaced by the AP on defense. Is this considered a substitution for the Flex now entitling the Flex to just one re-entry back into the game? The umpire rule that this was a substitution for the Flex. I have taken a look at the USSSA rules and this was not entirely clear to me since the use of the AP on defense for any "regular" player would not constitute a substitution. However, Section 4.G of the USSSA rules states as follows: "If the FLEX player is not playing defense, the non-batting FLEX position is eliminated and the FLEX player is out of the game."

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
In the 100s of Usssssssa games I had coached, the ump never cared or wanted to know who was playing defense or where. Even their large tourneys I remember being told, "just let me know if you sub in the batting lineup." 2nd, why would a coach make a starting lineup, then minutes later not follow it?

Jun 22, 2008
In the 100s of Usssssssa games I had coached, the ump never cared or wanted to know who was playing defense or where. Even their large tourneys I remember being told, "just let me know if you sub in the batting lineup." 2nd, why would a coach make a starting lineup, then minutes later not follow it?

There is a major difference between a simple defensive position change that is not a substitution and not required to be reported and a substitution which is required to be reported. The flex position is a spot on the lineup card and is a defensive position. The player in the flex position must play defense or they have left the game, it is not simply a defensive position swap.

As for the AP playing defense for the flex, I will have to research the USSSA rules and see if there are any restrictions on that. But otherwise yes it if the flex is not on the field they are out of the lineup and must use a re-entry to come back into the game.

May 17, 2012
The AP is not tied/related to the DP/Flex in any way!

Yes the AP can play defense but that has nothing to do with what the DP/Flex does or doesn't do!

Flex must always play defense. Always. If not you don't have a Flex.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes comp, I am saying I have never had a Utrip ump that wanted to pay attention to who was in the field, and again, why would a coach have AP start the first inning? Why wasn't she the flex?

Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for the responses. The coaching move was a bit odd. They went through the trouble to use both the DP/Flex and AP in their line up and then proceeded to keep the Flex out of the game on defense in the very first inning (they were the away team). We found this strange and asked the ump if the Flex was now out of the game. The umps conferred for a bit and agreed that the Flex had been removed from the game. Sounds like they got it right.

Jun 22, 2008
I have no clue why the coach would have the ap start on defense, that is their decision. But if he wanted the ap's bat in the lineup then why would he want her to be the flex, the flex is a non batting position?

If you have umpires that are telling you they dont ever care who is on defense then they arent doing their job. No, they dont need to know purely defensive position changes, but when the change constitutes one of the layers leaving the game and requiring a re-entry, that must be reported. It is a situation the offended team could appeal to their advantage, not to mention it affects the players ability to be in the game and could even be an illegal substitution situation.

And Im still not sure about the AP playing defense for the flex under USSSA rules. The wording is convoluted and repeatedly references the flex being on defense and if they are not they have left the game but then there is one sentence that does mention them not playing defense but not being out of the lineup. I dont know if it is a typo or what. There is nothing in the case book about an AP playing defense for the flex.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
After reading a few more things I believe I finally have the AP playing defense for the flex figure out for USSSA rules. The flex is a defensive position and must play defense or they have left the game and must use a re-entry to come back into the lineup regardless of if it is the DP or an AP playing defense for them. But, if the flex happens to be batting in the DP's position (which put the DP out of the lineup) an AP may now play defense for them and they have not left the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission