does this happen a lot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I agree with MTR, it really is the exception. However, the lasting impression seems like it is more common than not.

My 13 year olds, young 14U team, played our final fall tourney in Des Moines and we ran into this exact thing against a local team both in bracket play & in the championship game. Parents and players tossing out insults. Ironically, they were criticizing our young age and small stature in a very bad manner. We beat them both games. Its amazing what people will teach their kids...

Luckily, it doesn't happen that often to us.

BB. I am pretty sure I know who you mean. There teams of all ages are like that. First time we played them at 10u their first three batters are standing looking at us, and then catch trying to steal our signs. It was after 2nd inning when one of our girls said "I can't believe what they are saying.". I started listening to there chants, everyone had something about "kicking your a, or beating the f out of you.". THIS WAS 10u! We have played them at 12 u, it is just expected now. There trashy parents are proud of the way they act. Only thing that really makes me mad is if we lose to them (we are 2-3).

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD has been playing for 5 years from Little League Majors (12U) up to 18Gold. This type of behavior is much more common at younger ages and even more at recreational level. DW and I nearly decided that softball wasn't for our family during DD's very first LL game because of the nasty coaches, players and parents. As she moved up in age and skill level the nastyness tapered off.

DD is now on a college exposure team and it is expected that parents, players and coaches are on the best behavior at all times while in uniform. It is extremely rare to see a player or parent get out of line during a game but it does happen. Coaches still get nasty to umpires on a fairly regular basis.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have been instrumental in having 3 coaches removed from our league.

DD will not talk to me if something happens during the game because she knows I will follow-up with my threat if it doesn’t stop we are going home. She wants to handle it herself. Unless it really gets out of control she wants to be left alone to deal with it until the ride home from the game.

99% of the parents and coaches have been great to DD. Love opposing coaches that give me advice on how DD can improve. They know she is going to face them again but are interested in her development as a player.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It is the exception. Unfortunately, a team often reflects the coach or community. There was a 14U NQ a few years ago and a team was based in a very blue collar community where it was more likely a disagreement be settled with firearms and fists than discussion. Some of these folks believe the best offense is attempted intimidation.

About halfway through the first day, the TD approached the fans of this team and asked them to calm down. They turned on him and before five minutes had passed, half the fans were asked to leave the park. The coaches being very much part of this community turned away from the field and started on the TD who simply told them to take care of their team on the field or everyone could pack up and go home.

You would think this would embarass folks, but this group hoot and hollered how they showed all those prissy softball people who is boss as if getting thrown out of the tournament was a victory.

It is really a shame as it is not going to be an easy road for those kids no matter where they go if they carry baggage like that.
Blue collar has nothing to do with it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Blue collar has nothing to do with it.

Would you prefer the "low class portion of the blue collar community" in defining the area from which these people came? Or maybe you prefer I referred to them as white trash? Would that suit you better?

Isn't is amazing how many people want to tell others what they are talking about when they really haven't a clue?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Would you prefer the "low class portion of the blue collar community" in defining the area from which these people came? Or maybe you prefer I referred to them as white trash? Would that suit you better?

Isn't is amazing how many people want to tell others what they are talking about when they really haven't a clue?
I think its amazing that someone could be ignorant as to what they are talking about and even when being given a clue about it, don't take it. Poor sportsmanship and crude behavior cross all sorts of social and economic boundaries.

The actions of these people had nothing to do with being blue collar, but you chose to use this as the description. Blue collar had nothing to do with it.

Feb 8, 2009
I don't see behavior as any worse than it was when I started 15 years ago. I am still shocked by the really bad behavior when I see it. In our neck of the the woods (central Illinois), I would say people are well behaved in general. The most unpleasant situations I've encountered in the last few years involved teams from a neighboring state (immediately to our east).

Jan 31, 2011
I think its amazing that someone could be ignorant as to what they are talking about and even when being given a clue about it, don't take it. Poor sportsmanship and crude behavior cross all sorts of social and economic boundaries.

The actions of these people had nothing to do with being blue collar, but you chose to use this as the description. Blue collar had nothing to do with it.

I agree that player/fan behavior has little do with economic status. It has all to do with manners, common sense and a class. Look at the jokers we have in Washington. Their behavior has nothing to do with the fact that most all are millionaires and consider themselves elite.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. Even my 4th grade GD appreciates it.

I defined a community and then how these people from that community acted. Would you have been so quick to any type of judgment if I stated the were from Beverly Hills, Bay Hill, Georgetown, the Main Line, Beacon Hill, etc. and acted like the dregs of the earth?

Y'all really need to get over yourself and start reading the words in front of you in the manner they are presented. BTW, blue collar has nothing to do with economic status. It has more to do with values and vanity than income.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan