Does High Level Throwing Pattern Drills Work?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
In a follow up to the post in KCFastpitch"Time to Replace "L" Drills for Throwing" We decided to put high level throwing patterns trianing to the test... We worked with several of our catchers on throwing in the last month... especially with fastpitch. We started a baseline with our catchers 11-14 years of age one month ago and checked their standing throwing velocity, then worked high level throwing drills with them during at least part of their catching sessions and encouraged them to practice at home... We had a chance to re-test 5 our those catchers this week. Here's the numbers.

The averaged throwing velocity of five fastpitch catchers ages 11-14 before HLT drills was 44.25 MPH. After one month of HLT drills the average increased to 47.55 MPH. A 7% increase! We had one 11 year old see her averaged velocity improve 10%! Averaged best throw for this group was 46.8 MPH before HLT drills and rose 5% to 49.4 MPH! We went from 2 catchers breaking the 50 MPH barrier to three! I am very proud of the work our catchers have put in and they are seeing the results!

High Level Throwing Drills are recommended by A.B. Athletic Development and Wasserman Strength Training. High Level Throwing Patterns are taught by The New England Catching Camp and locally (Kansas City) by Advanced Catching Concepts.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
chaz, interesting. Did you do this with accuracy or is speed the top priority with this work? Do you intend to translate this work into pop times and did you get a baseline for that? Thanks for the info.

Oct 10, 2011
increase

I had to do the math and there was about a 13% increase over the year for DD. Yes they work!

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Did you do this with accuracy or is speed the top priority with this work? Do you intend to translate this work into pop times and did you get a baseline for that? Thanks for the info.

I love the comedy! The 8 ohm remark had me laughing out loud.... As far as testing, The size of most of our winter facilities does not allow for tracking pop times. This may be a summer project as time allows. (I may have to quit my day job!) The main focus of this exercise was to determine velocity improvements on standing throws. The ball was thrown to the catcher (Standing, no gear) and they caught then threw the ball towards the gun. (I only got hit twice!) :eek: Accuracy was assumed unless they popped the coach.

One thing I see when working on throwing is that aim suffers horribly when throwing mechanics are first altered. Parents may get on their kids to make a good throw when the ball hits the net above their head 5 feet away from them. At the same time I will tell them it's the best throw they made all night! They made their body do what we wanted it to do. They aren't used to it so their aim is off. Within 5 minutes they are typically on target. It's important not to get distracted by where the ball went but what the student is doing with their body. I used to tune hot rods years ago and you never made more than one adjustment at a time... You tweaked timing, then checked, carb jetting, then checked again, so on and ect... So with throwing, focus on proper form and mechanics first, the aim will most often correct itself.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I love the comedy! The 8 ohm remark had me laughing out loud.... As far as testing, The size of most of our winter facilities does not allow for tracking pop times. This may be a summer project as time allows. (I may have to quit my day job!) The main focus of this exercise was to determine velocity improvements on standing throws. The ball was thrown to the catcher (Standing, no gear) and they caught then threw the ball towards the gun. (I only got hit twice!) :eek: Accuracy was assumed unless they popped the coach.

One thing I see when working on throwing is that aim suffers horribly when throwing mechanics are first altered. Parents may get on their kids to make a good throw when the ball hits the net above their head 5 feet away from them. At the same time I will tell them it's the best throw they made all night! They made their body do what we wanted it to do. They aren't used to it so their aim is off. Within 5 minutes they are typically on target. It's important not to get distracted by where the ball went but what the student is doing with their body. I used to tune hot rods years ago and you never made more than one adjustment at a time... You tweaked timing, then checked, carb jetting, then checked again, so on and ect... So with throwing, focus on proper form and mechanics first, the aim will most often correct itself.

Absolutely correct. And the SS will thank you - no more throws sailing high and to the right into the path of the baserunner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad