Do Coaches/Instructor's care?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Paid coaches care about their pupils.

Paid coaches want to get paid.

Paid coaches speak in a language different than most. Learn exactly what the language is, and you have your answer. I know the language.

What does this mean? Do you have a Spanish speaking coach or something? Can you tell me what Puig is saying during interviews?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I care more than I should!!! I want to know how she's doing whether its with me or whomever... if I hear a story about how well she's doing with _____ PC, Im excited and happy for her. I want only the best for any kid I know or work with and even the kids who may have moved on...

Aug 14, 2011
When DD pitched, her coach always asked how she did, or came to watch, as did any hitting coaches she had. Her most recent hitting coach would call and ask how a tourney was going (DD traveled around the country a lot and would sometimes go weeks in the summer without having a lesson), and he even called a couple of times this fall to see how her college experience was going.

Jun 24, 2013
I want to know. Especially if I have had a hand in developing either her talent, her love of the game or just being a good teammate. Heck even if she went off to a "better" coach, I still want to hear about how they are doing.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Most coaches do it for the love of the game, or the love of their DD. There are always a few bad apples who are in it for $$$, but they are usually easy to spot. We have a couple of coaches in our organization who give lessons, but they offer HEAVILY discounted rates for players in the organization.

There was a good thread awhile back about "daddy ball", but you also have to guard against coaches who give preferential treatment to players who take private lessons from them.

I've never been paid a dime for the time I spend in softball. That being said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with those who earn money at it, and I don't see earning money as necessarily bad. Heck, we all earn money in our careers. That is, we all profit from selling our labor services in the labor market. Why is it seen as a bad thing to sell our labor services in softball. Seems to me that it's a situation of mutually beneficial voluntary exchange. That is, those forking out the bucks must believe there is more value there than what it's costing them or they wouldn't do it.

Jun 29, 2013
Speaking from personal experience, both as the dad as a player taking lessons, and the brother in law of an instructor in Southern CA. Yes, they care, a lot. They love to hear the success stories about softball, but they love to hear the personal success stories (school, life experiences, etc.) stories even more. They love to think that they might have had some small part of helping their student succeed not just in softball, but also as capable, successful, competent, and maybe even brilliant young women. I hope my experiences are the same as everyone else's, I really have nothing but good things to say about my DD's instructor and my BIL

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Most coaches do it for the love of the game, or the love of their DD. There are always a few bad apples who are in it for $$$, but they are usually easy to spot. We have a couple of coaches in our organization who give lessons, but they offer HEAVILY discounted rates for players in the organization.

There was a good thread awhile back about "daddy ball", but you also have to guard against coaches who give preferential treatment to players who take private lessons from them.

We have encountered PC's who are linked to teams or organizations. It is used by the team as a way to "sell" potential recruits as to their ability to "make" your player better. I always worry about this because how long is it before the PC is in a situation where there is pressure (whether spoken or not) to feed recruits into the team or prioritize the team's players in lessons. Just seems this would undermine a PC's business they built over the long term.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
As a catching instructor, I love keeping up with my catchers. I try to follow up with catchers at their games and tournaments for two reasons. First to see how well the techniques we go over and train on in the cages translates on the field in game conditions. How can I help my catcher get even better or use his or her skills more effectively to play to the strengths of their bodies and minds. Secondly, I love the game. It's a blast to go out and watch them compete. Regretfully, if former students don't stay in contact, it is hard as an instructor to look them up and keep track of everyone. I encourage and count on my students and their families to keep me posted when they change teams, guest play and to send me their schedules.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I thought it was funny that the so called "cash cow" coach recently stopped in to say hi at work, but I wasn't in so he contacted me online. He was asking how DD was doing etc... Since then, DD has been talking to him and he has helped her with her profile sheet to send to colleges (we didn't have to pay him LOL). It gives you a good feeling knowing that the coaches care after spending so much time with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321