Dirty or clean play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
In 8u Fall season i have heard a coach mention that there team tries to teach the girls to slap the glove of the fielder while the tag is trying to be made at the base. Some girls still fail to hold the ball properly while running with it at this age. Just looking for different takes

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In 8u Fall season i have heard a coach mention that there team tries to teach the girls to slap the glove of the fielder while the tag is trying to be made at the base. Some girls still fail to hold the ball properly while running with it at this age. Just looking for different takes

Any half decent umpire will call them out still. In this age group I'd be having a word with the coach about it as well if it is clearly intentional.

Yes it is pretty bush league. And yes it tells you what kind of coach you are dealing with (i.e. the ones that believe they have to win in 8U/10U at all costs).

More importantly I have MUCH better things that need to be taught to girls playing 8U and 10U than how to play nasty.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Any half decent umpire will call them out still. In this age group I'd be having a word with the coach about it as well if it is clearly intentional.

Yes it is pretty bush league. And yes it tells you what kind of coach you are dealing with (i.e. the ones that believe they have to win in 8U/10U at all costs).

More importantly I have MUCH better things that need to be taught to girls playing 8U and 10U than how to play nasty.

Marriard is being kind in saying this is pretty bush league. I would probably have a stern conversation with that coach and reconsider whether they should be coaching in our league.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Dirty? Nasty? Gimme a break. At what age does it become just softball? Yeah, bush league if you like, but there's nothing dirty or nasty about it. It's just playing ball.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Interesting? At what age do we teach them to respect the game?
8U is not an age where the girls are taught to knock the ball out. (I never condoned it)
When these girls are older (16U) there is retribution for bush league tactics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1