Difficulty in learning various pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2011
How would you rank the degree of difficulty there is in learning the various pitches? Based on amount of time/effort taken to throw for strikes, then master the pitch. Understanding that there are exceptions to the rule, but on an average for most girls.

FB, CU (variations), curve, screw, peel drop, roll drop, rise ??????

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
How would you rank the degree of difficulty there is in learning the various pitches? Based on amount of time/effort taken to throw for strikes, then master the pitch. Understanding that there are exceptions to the rule, but on an average for most girls.

FB, CU (variations), curve, screw, peel drop, roll drop, rise ??????

Easiest to Hardest.

Fastball
Peel Drop
Rollover Drop
Screwball
Curveball
Change Up (Flip, not sure where I'd rank others)
Riseball

That's based on what I've seen from my kid and what her pitching instructor has indicated to me. I'd also say that all girls are different so this list may change depending on the kid.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think you are really underestimating the difficulty of mastering different pitches.

To "master" a pitch means that the pitcher will throw the pitch with a 3-2 count to the cleanup hitter with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 7th. Using that definition, almost all pitchers really have only mastered one breaking pitch.

My DD had mastered one breaking pitch by college. She threw curves and screws, but she couldn't consistently place the ball. If a pitcher can't consistently place a breaking pitch where she wants it, she can't throw it when she needs it--which means that she can't really throw the pitch.

The two most difficult pitches to master are the rollover drop and the rise.

Mar 31, 2011
Perhaps mastery is too strong of a word. I was aiming more for control moving toward command but perhaps not getting there.

Reason I ask: I am wondering as my DD progresses and learns new pitches, what have typically been the most difficult to gain control over. She currently has her FB of course and uses the flip CU with about 50% accuracy and is learning the roll over drop.

Not excited to see you list the rollover drop ad very difficult.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Mine PICKED UP the screw, curve, the quickest. Drop, rise is in the 50% on target range.

The CU gives her the fits. We have tried all variations. But she has great control of the off speed pitch. She can mix the speeds anywhere from 3-10 mph off.

She has developed a great back door curve. ( shes a lefty ) The screw and back door curve will be her " go to pitches " in 2012. If the ump gives some decent corners they are very effective.

And I agree with Sluggers on "mastering" pitches. Mine has not mastered them, just starting to "own" them. :) She just turned 16.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The progression for most teachers go: FB, CU, peel, curve, screw, rise.

Very few teach the rollover dropover. Throwing a rollover is pretty much the death sentence for learning to throw a rise. The body position for a rollover is opposite compared to a rise, and the ending hand position is opposite. So, if your DD works long enough to master a rollover, it is going to be difficult for her to throw a rise. Most pitchers want their killer pitch to be a rise, so they learn the peel drop.

BUT: your DD could be a natural for the rollover. My DD's pitching coach said her body was better for a rollover, and that is what she learned. She became very, very good with the pitch.

To answer your question in more detail:

When she is learning the rollover, you will first see some curve balls. As she gets the timing down, you will start seeing curve drops. Finally, you get the pure drop. One thing to recognize is that a curve drop is not a bad pitch in its own right.

As to the time it takes, my DD worked on it for 6 months and learned it in a day. She made zero progress for months. Then, one day one of the PC's other students comes up to her and says, "Think of it this way..." and 10 minutes later my DD could make the the ball look like it was dropping off the table.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Watching the 100's of teams we play against or with in tournament each a year I would start by making sure who ever you choose to teach your daughter spends endless hours initially on mechanics. Without solid mechanics you have a couple of issues such as consistency and more importantly you want a safe, injury free motion.

With that being said I would say the pitches that spin over the top are the easiest to learn because it is a more natural motion. This would include the fastball, Screw, Curve and Drop. The hardest to get to work at all is the rise since it is pretty close to the opposite of all the other pitches. But to me the hardest to master (becoming a go to pitch) is the Change. A great change is impossible to hit, a good change is difficult to hit, and a bad change is like batting practice.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
DD went fastball, curve, change-up, rise, rollover drop, screw. Curve is probably her best. Never did well with the rollover: sometimes it worked great, but other times it would just float.

In response to redhack: I don't know that there is a real answer. Most pitchers end up favoring a particular pitch, so if you ask them they'd probably say that's the one you should learn. Except they don't agree which one that is. I don't know that even a great PC can really predict what will work best for your daughter.

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I now know why my DD struggles with the flip CU. Now working on her rollover drop, sounds like a long process. Now questioning the logic her PC has in going with these 2 pitches as her second and third. He has always been right with everything he has taught her. Hope he knows something I don't see.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How do I know other than from my own trying? Answer: the amount of curve drops now thrown as real pitches, pitches that get parked over the fence by righties against a rightie.

There is a pitching coach in Chicagoland who teaches the curvedrop as "the goto pitch"--probably because it is easier to teach than a drop. Against HS batters, it works great. But, if that is all a pitcher has against college hitters, forget it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG