Didn't see the run score

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Situation - 10U TCS Tournament...

1 out. Runners at 1B and 3B. Batter swings at strike 2, and runs to 1B, mistakenly thinking it was strike 3. Runner at 1B runs to 2B. Catcher throws to 1B. 1B throws to 2B, and tags the runner. On the throw from 1B to 2B, runner at 3B runs home and crosses the plate.

After much discussion between the umps and coaches, the PU rules that the B-R is out on "misconduct" for running on strike 2, and calls the runner going from 1B to 2B out on the tag (bad call, but those happen). This was the one that floored me...Run did not count because PU "didn't see her cross the plate". She ran right in front of him!

Game finished tied 0-0.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Big cluster on all the rulings, none of them correct.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

As I see it, batter comes back to plate with 2-strike count. Runner out at 2B on tag (stolen base attempt). Run scores. 2 outs. Does this sound right?

Jun 22, 2008
That's what I thought. Thanks.

As I see it, batter comes back to plate with 2-strike count. Runner out at 2B on tag (stolen base attempt). Run scores. 2 outs. Does this sound right?

Was the runner at 2nd tagged off the base or had they made it to 2nd? I assumed they had made it to 2nd with all the throws going around. If off the base the umpire did get 1 call right.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Was the runner at 2nd tagged off the base or had they made it to 2nd? I assumed they had made it to 2nd with all the throws going around. If off the base the umpire did get 1 call right.

It was a close tag play at 2B. I thought she was pretty clearly safe, but FU called her out. I can accept that one.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Don't have the rule book in front of me (and too lazy to look it up), but I seem to remember that if the batter runs to first to draw a throw (does not need to be intentional), then that can count as an interference call. Since the batter only has 2 strikes on her, she is not out, but the runner closest to home plate is.

Jun 22, 2008
Don't have the rule book in front of me (and too lazy to look it up), but I seem to remember that if the batter runs to first to draw a throw (does not need to be intentional), then that can count as an interference call. Since the batter only has 2 strikes on her, she is not out, but the runner closest to home plate is.

Defense is responsible for knowing the situation and making the appropriate play. There is no play at 1st base, the available plays were at 2nd and 3rd.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
OK...decided to look it up. NSA: "Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member, who impedes or confuses a defensive player while attempting to execute a play. If judged so by the umpire, vocal interference may be called. "

This seems to fit, although it would be a umpire judgment call.

A baserunner is out: "f) When he/she interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or interferes (intentionally) with a thrown ball. If the interference, in
the judgment of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the baserunner closest to home plate, shall be called out."

Not a great fit for the situation.

c) When a batter or baserunner is called out for interference, other baserunners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference

A better fit, but not perfect for the situation.

But, I would say, if the judgement of the ump that the batter made an honest mistake, then this could be considered a live ball. Defense should know when to throw and when not to throw as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321