Did anyone see the Tenn vs Auburn game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
My last thread here => Of course I can't prove it but I still state that if the catcher was the bigger mass and the runner was the little girl that got hurt most of you would be screaming for the catchers head. C'mon folks think with your brain and not with your heart.....

Jan 24, 2011
My last thread here => Of course I can't prove it but I still state that if the catcher was the bigger mass and the runner was the little girl that got hurt most of you would be screaming for the catchers head. C'mon folks think with your brain and not with your heart.....

I dont care one bit about the size of the players. The runner had an obligation to avoid that contact and she didnt do it. Ejection was warranted. If this was indeed a botched squeeze play , the runner knew immediately that she had no shot , yet she still decided to run over the catcher instead of either sliding or getting into a run down.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I must have missed the 'size of the player' section of the rules.

A good ump would still have ejected her and the only difference probably would have been that the catcher probably gets up faster. Full speed contact even from half the mass would still have put her on her butt.

Jan 15, 2009
The next time you are in a car accident, and that hard windshield is in front of you (helmet, etc) keep your arms at your side. The catcher closed the distance faster by moving up the line. I still say her footwork showed she was trying to set up for a collision, not make a collision, Otherwise her footsteps wouldn't have changed. Maybe I played too much men's ball; 5 broken ribs and 8 other broken bones. And no I am not tough. I break easily! I just had some more in an auto accident the first of March. And I raised my hand toward my car door to stop the car that hit me :)

In your car crash analogy would you stomp on the accelerator when you approach the brick wall or hit the brakes?? She accelerated through contact, easy call. Watch her arms, if she was catching herself she wouldn't have been extending her arms after collision to add some mustard to her hit.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
First of all...THIS AIN'T BASEBALL........!

This is a flagrant collision and an ejection every day and twice on Sunday....!

At any level of SOFTBALL...10u to Men's FP......

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
In your car crash analogy would you stomp on the accelerator when you approach the brick wall or hit the brakes?? She accelerated through contact, easy call. Watch her arms, if she was catching herself she wouldn't have been extending her arms after collision to add some mustard to her hit.

How can you say she is accelerating when you can only see her stutter-steps coming into the video. Lastly, where does a catcher block the plate? Generally speaking, in the batter's box at or near the baseline. Isn't that where a runner would expect the play? So she runs up the line, and the runner stutter-steps the last few feet. Sometimes you do it to prepare to slide, or to hit a base when rounding it with the proper foot. How could she slide 15 feet up the baseline, before the contact point? And if she was accelerating her strides would have gotten longer, not little steps. I don't like the collision, but the catcher was out of position, and I think the girl was trying to slow down and brace for a collision.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
I happened to see it live and like Steve I thought I saw the runner stutter step just before the collision. I sawthe C popping out from behind the batter about the time the runner starts to stutter step or at least start to slow down (looking ~0:35). I'm not saying it wasn't flagarant, but I don't think it was meant to take the C out of the game. If I had the intent of hitting someone (think football or collisions in baseball), I don't go in chest to chest like the runner did, I lean forward, drop a shoulder and my forearm is probably raising above my head as I really push the C. I see the runner coming in pretty upright, chest to chest.

Yes, the squeeze was missed and the runner could've pulled up as soon as it wasn't bunted, but everyone knows she would've been dead trying to get back to 3rd. I know I was taught to go in full tilt no matter what. Look when the C appears from behind the batter ~3:34. I say the runner has ~10 ft between where she is and where the collision happens. Sure you could pull up in that space if you knew ahead of time you had to, but if you're expecting to start your slide in another 5-7ft and someone told you to stop, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to do it. Also, your panic reaction wouldn't be to slide, probably pull up or go around.

I'm a C so I'd also wonder why in the heck is the C so high? You know the runner is coming down the line, she's either gonna slide or run over you, so why wouldn't you set up low?

Again, unfortunate incident, and I think you had to eject her or bedlam would've ensued.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Btw call me sadistic, but I was chuckling when the Tenn C hit the batter on the attempted steal. Their obligation to get out of the way, no hesitation. See runner go, throw. Love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan