Diagnosing Lean towards 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2011
Last night we were able to get some work in on the stride board as recommended. The lean towards third does appear to be less pronounced. We'll keep incorporating in practice for a while. One downside is that it resulted in a shortening in stride. Overlapping sequences were off a bit with this. We also worked on the lock it in through 3/4s progression with the 30-45 offset referenced by BM for Boomer's DD.

http://youtu.be/FQ1D_FT7HSM

The arm circle looks a lot better IMO, do you have video with that arm circle without the board?

Jun 18, 2010
1-4_zpscbaea538.png

5-8_zps61bd3aac.png

Jun 18, 2010
JMO... Bending at the waist versus firm front side and posture is the root cause.

I dunno, I think 3rd base lean for a RHP is almost always caused by a desire to clear the hip and avoid any contact. There are a lot of 3rd base leaning pitchers out there, some are pretty darn good, but the common theme is a lack of brush. Encourage her to stay tall, keep the circle tighter to the body and let her know that a little brush is a good thing and the lean should go away.

There are 8 frames above. IMHO, Frame 3 and 4 is where it becomes clear. She never gets into a good posture position.

Frames 5-8 show she leaves her back leg behind. If she had more of a reverse posture, driving down/in with her rear leg she would put herself in a much better body position.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
I believe JS has mentioned before, if not he should have :) ...

...younger girls have a harder time recovering from an initial start position of excessive bending at the waist.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Here's a gif of the latest set.

Unknown-Untagged_3.gif

I still feel like your DD is opening from the backside as part of her drive mechanic. I think the photos below help substantiate this. She is not pushing off the mound like a sprinter off of the starting block, and as a result her power chain is out of sync.

Knee is already open ~45 degrees as she is driving off the plate
Knee_open.jpg

Knee is fully open as she enters into adduction
Knee_open2.jpg

I don't what to get into a foot forward / foot sideways debate as elite pitchers do both. I think focusing on the knee is a better tell. Ankles articulate so much between users. A foot can turn out and the knee still point predominantly forward. The knee is a hinge and turning it out requires the femur to turn. If the rear foot is weighted when the femur turns (ER), the pelvis will open.

Again, I don't think that opening should be something that your DD does, it should be something that happens. I think if you correct her drive mechanic, the issue with opening will take care of itself...as will some of the glove wave.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
There are 8 frames above. IMHO, Frame 3 and 4 is where it becomes clear. She never gets into a good posture position.

Frames 5-8 show she leaves her back leg behind. If she had more of a reverse posture, driving down/in with her rear leg she would put herself in a much better body position.

I agree with what you showed but I think that is what causes bending forward not bending to third. You can have that poor forward body lean you showed and not bend towards third and still brush. I steadfastly hold to my stubborn position that a bend to third is always accompanied by lack of brush and is mostly caused by a mental need to avoid any contact.

Exhibit 1-Here is an old clip of my older DD circa winter 2013, she had almost the same posture issue of being forward throughout, but without the 3rd base lean and with brush.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
I still feel like your DD is opening from the backside as part of her drive mechanic. I think the photos below help substantiate this. She is not pushing off the mound like a sprinter off of the starting block, and as a result her power chain is out of sync.

Knee is already open ~45 degrees as she is driving off the plate

Again, I don't think that opening should be something that your DD does, it should be something that happens. I think if you correct her drive mechanic, the issue with opening will take care of itself...as will some of the glove wave.

I got beat down for suggesting this earlier. ;)

Glad I am not the only one that sees it. Again, I am not saying that your push foot has to be perfectly at 90 degrees, but the the push foot should not be opening the body.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321