Diagnosing Lean towards 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
My DD has a slight lean towards third that is affecting her brush contact down into her upper lower arm. I only notice it on full pitches so I think it's tied to a flaw in her drive mechanics which we are trying to sort out. It's improved since last fall but it's still there. Any feedback based on the video would be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/VUSIjS8FQlA

May 31, 2012
It looks like she's getting her hand on top of the ball down the backside of the circle. Have her lead with the elbow, have a slight bend in the arm and get the ball facing the sky at 9 o'clock

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
We're also working on Palm up with a more pronounced lead with the elbow. Slow motion in Ubersense doesn't show Palm behind the ball though. Luckily she never took that with her previous HE pitching instruction.

Feb 26, 2011
IMO the arm circle is off line. See how the ball stays out to the side and then goes behind her. My DD did this also, we worked on bringing the ball up in front of her face and it took her lean out.

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
Yeah might be something there on that. Just drew a line in Ubersense and the ball is a few inches to the right at 12 but comes back into plane around 10.

Jun 18, 2010
fall_left_slow_zpsedvrg2ja.gif

May 31, 2012
If she's gonna slide the push foot that far left. Then stride on to stripe in the center she has to clear the hip in order to get the ball to go middle which causes the lean. Even with that being said I don't think her lean is bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80