Dehydration in young (12yr old) athlete

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
My 12yr old daughter is currently in 7th grade school basketball & travel softball (fall ball), she also has IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). She has thrown herself into dehydration partially caused by her IBS (diarrhea) and being very active. Dr says if she doesn't improve its gonna be IV time. Dr said now that symptoms have shown up (not sweating, nautious, clammy & pale) there is no turning back - the damage is done.

I have benched her from strenuous running in both sports (and no she is NOT happy with me) but how do I get her back into the swing of things hydrated & keep her from overheating?

Gatorade isn't a consistant option as the sugar affects her stomach from IBS.

Anyone ever deal with dehydration, sports & IBS?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd, same age started getting upset stomach (diarrhea) issues 2 weeks ago. Dw (used to be a dietiacian) gave her a probiotic supplement the first day, she was going to stay home from school, but in 30 min she said she was better. Now every few days she is having stomach trouble when she wakes, but takes a probiotic is feels better within an hour.
Might be worth a try.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I usually cut the Gatorade 50% with water for DD. It cuts down on the sugar and helps keep her hydrated during tournaments. Also, several days before, I have her drink plenty of water. When she gets really bad, I go to the local drug store and buy her Pedialyte. It has much less sugar and is better for her in the long run. As redhotcoach said, a probiotic usually helps and I have her eat an Activia yogurt a day also. It seems to help quite a bit.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Drink 8- 8oz glasses of water aday w/ 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt. In your first one in the morning, add 1 teaspoon of Xylitol instead of the salt....same with the last one before bed. Also replace all sugar usage with Xylitol

Take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Also replace all cooking oil, butter, margarine with coconut oil for all cooking.

Should cover all three. Problems :{))

Read this whole thread, It has the dehydration issue covered.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/10294-great-gatorade-debate-finally-settled-2.html

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Are you certain that the diagnosis is correct? IBS is so similar to Crohns and things like the illness where they can't tolerate wheat. I am unfamiliar with what a 12 yo old can take. Metamucil? Imodium AD?

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I thought maybe Carly would comment - but since she has not as yet- here is a link to an article she wrote to talk about healthy drink alternatives that may be worth a try.

Softball Nutrition: Natural Healthy Alternatives to Sports Drinks

As an aside, it is important as others have mentioned- that staying hydrated is an active process- that should go on regularly for your DD. by the time they are thirsty- they are already behind the 8-ball. She should have a jug or something that gives her a target amount of fluid that she should consume on the days b4 practice or games so she stays ahead.

It is not just dehydration, but risk of heat stroke that can accompany it that is very dangerous

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Are you certain that the diagnosis is correct? IBS is so similar to Crohns and things like the illness where they can't tolerate wheat. I am unfamiliar with what a 12 yo old can take. Metamucil? Imodium AD?

Yes, 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt in 32oz of water, twice a day is the chrons treatment.

8-8oz is the standard "apple a day for everyone prescription". If you want the specific amount, take the body weight, divide in half, and drink that many oz. example 100lbs divided by 2 = 50... drink at least 50 oz of water per day. The mistake is think you can replenish in a couple days (see my post in above link) http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/10294-great-gatorade-debate-finally-settled-2.html #20

As far as using and those chemicals, I would say none. I only use or recommend natural substances. The body only rejects everything else.

Nov 29, 2009
Best advice I can give you. Listen to the suggestions people have given you here. Then do NOTHING until you speak with your daughter's physician about the suggestions. Then, and only if he/she gives the OK should you try something.

None of us here are qualified to diagnose your DD on a softball forum thread.

Good luck with her situation. I hope you find something that keeps her on the field playing at 100%

Mar 13, 2010
Do you have powerade in America? They now Harv sugar free drinks that are great tasting.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
DEFINITELY take her to see a doctor of functional medicine or a really good nutritionist. IBS at such a young age could very well be caused by food sensitivities. If its not you're no worse off than you are now, but if it is you can cure it just by eliminating the offending foods, and it's SO worth it. Depending on your regular physician's background he/she might not be able to diagnose this (mine couldn't) but it's worth finding someone who can.

My sister and I both discovered that we had gluten and some other allergies within the past couple of years and it has dramatically changed our health for the better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1