Decisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
You would be surprised just how good 12U teams can be, especially the pure 2nd year teams. The extra pitching distance makes a "dominant" 10U flamethrower into batting practice if she has not developed at least one other pitch. The good 12U A teams in our area compete very well against the majority of 14U "B" teams. Just playing up in age is not the only metric for deciding whether your DD is being challenged. I had several 14U eligible girls who opted to play on a 16U team this year than on my 14U team. We beat that 16U team like a drum because we were a better team and played better competition. Being on an older team does not make your DD "better" if the older team is playing in cream puff tournaments.

Jul 2, 2013
THanks Marriad. My dilema is because my daughter is well above the curve from a physical standpoint. Either way, her current team is moving up to 12u now. I'd expect her to be dominant at 12u within 6 months from a physical standpoint but we'll see. Assuming she progresses at the rate she is, I think she'll be ready to move to 14's a year early which I'd probably prefer than to have her play 2 years at 12's.

To start, you may be putting the cart before the horse. There are a slew of ahead of the curve 10U players.

If we were in your shoes, we would focus on playing for the absolute BEST 12U team we could find. Become a champion. Learn how.

Then worry about the ages above.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Two things to think about:

First, this is an age when kids grow like weeds. I can think of several 12u players who are about 6 inches taller than last year. DD #3 is "only" 3-4 inches taller. DD #3 is in a younger U11 team. There is a team of 2nd year U12 derived from the same rec league. The girls just one year older look like giants. Not just taller, but far more muscular.

The problem is, a girl can get hurt playing up against bigger players. DD #2's best friend broke her hand playing way up, and never recovered. She can never play softball again. She just plays hockey.

Second, moving too far too fast can overwhelm some girls. DD #1 played her first rec league game in the fall of 2010, entering the 7th grade. Spring of 2011, she was still in rec league, not even good enough for the all-stars. Fall of 2011, playing fall ball U12 rec league, one of the best players. Spring 2012, rec league U14, had a lot of trouble hitting the first half of the season (fielding was good, base running phenominal). Summer 2012, played in the rec league U14 all-star team. Fall 2012, U16 TB team.

That's right, she went from U12 rec league to U16 TB in less than a year.

Early winter 2012, gets completely frustrated practicing with TB HC, quits SB completely. Spring 2013, a rec league coach convinces her to play HS ball. She plays freshman team for a year, leads the team in hits, HR and SB. Then she quits again, hasn't played or even practiced since then, although she threatens to play JV next year.

So, you have two things to worry about. Playing with the bigger kids increases the chances of injury, and moving up too quickly can put too much pressure on a girl, which could take the FUN out of the game.

I agree you should wait a year and see. How big is she? How developed are her skills? Is she emotionally mature enough to handle U14?

There is also a point to finding a better team her age. DD #3 has hit and pitched against strong U12 teams, and against a rec league U14 team. The rec league U14 team was a piece of cake against even a strong local U12 team. (3x4 with a double and 3 runs scored batting, 2 K in one inning pitching against the U14 team in a double header. She simply cannot put up those kinds of numbers against a strong U12 team.)

Aug 20, 2013
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned 14's. Not really eyeing that now as much as in maybe a year or so. DD is 03' and played primarily with 01's up until a little over a year ago when she started playing with her age group again. She is big for her age physically and would fit right in size wise with any 12u and alot of 14's. Mentally, not so much. The main thing I've considered is joining an 02' team that is still playing 12's but will be moving up to 14's next fall or so.It's either that or stick with current 03' team in 12's. I do know that eventually, I believe she will benefit skill wise by playing with an older team, it's just a matter of when to look for that opportunity.

I appreciate everyone's insight!

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
THanks Marriad. My dilema is because my daughter is well above the curve from a physical standpoint. Either way, her current team is moving up to 12u now. I'd expect her to be dominant at 12u within 6 months from a physical standpoint but we'll see. Assuming she progresses at the rate she is, I think she'll be ready to move to 14's a year early which I'd probably prefer than to have her play 2 years at 12's.

My DD is very dominant for her age as a first year 12U-A pitcher. My decision was to leave her on her team, since we are a decent team and will be able to play up at 14U a lot next year. No need to move an 11 y/o up with a bunch of 13-14 y/o girls she doesn't know unless she is VERY mature mentally and is not on a team capable of playing up.

My recommendation is stay where you are unless she's absolutely crushing the opposition at the highest 12U level next year AND is on an otherwise mediocre/bad team.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12