Dealing with the mental part of an injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Hi everyone, I think this is the right section for this post, as it applies to mental training (I think?)

During the spring I tore my ACL. I missed the last couple games of high school ball and the entire summer of showcase. I had surgery over the summer and everything is going great now, my leg is strong, and I am cleared to hit (not in games) and run (like on a treadmill or track). So everything is going well with the recovery, but I can't help getting mad at myself for letting this injury happen in the first place. I tore the ACL because I hit a weak line drive to the shortstop (in a crucial moment of the game) and when I saw the ball caught I went to turn back to my dugout but I stomped my right foot down and planted it before I turned. I felt the pop and that was it. This game was on a Wednesday, and we had won two very exciting (yet tiring) games on Monday and Tuesday, so the entire team was a little tired and on edge.

It was just such a stupid way to tear it, and it could have been easily prevented if I had just gone back to the bench like normal. It just kills me knowing that I ruined my whole summer season (and fall cross country season) all because I got frustrated with myself. And I very rarely publicly display my anger or frustration like I did.

I wish I could go back in time. All I would have needed to do was to slow down easily and the turn. It would have been so simple to prevent. Anyone have some advice/experience with something like this? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The best advice I have heard and I don't know who said it is something about allow yourself a time to morn your loss. Like - on Wed. I am going to rehash this and then, after that, I am done with it. You can write down, in big letters, everything that you hate about your injury. Then, throw the paper away.

Set new goals and move forward. Do not hang with negative people, nay sayers, and people that pile on with more "what ifs."

If you have a youth pastor, he/she would probably welcome talking to you. It is so much better than the life and death stuff that he normally has to deal with.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Is there any good, justifiable way to tear your ACL? And if even if there was, would it lessen your disappointment or shorten your rehab? My DD did her ACL practicing volleyball. Her fellow TB catcher did hers playing tug of war during school class day. At least you did yours playing a sport you love! And give yourself a break, per DD's ortho, an ACL tear is often due to accumulated wear and tear and then its just the next off-balance stress that snaps the elastic. It's over and done, it does you no good to worry about those things you can't control; instead, devote your energy and efforts to the things you can influence, like doing well in school, kicking butt during rehab, fine-tuning your swing mechanics etc. and you'll be back playing ball again before you know it!

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Greenmonsters is right; it was likely accumulated stress and then a freak accident. I bet if you had stomped and turned exactly the same way a thousand other times in your life, nothing would have happened. AND I bet that if you hadn't, the next awkward movement you made would have torn it anyway. So don't beat yourself up over it! Be proud of yourself for working through it, and feel good knowing that your work is paying off and it's getting stronger.

Nov 29, 2009
but I can't help getting mad at myself for letting this injury happen in the first place. I tore the ACL because I hit a weak line drive to the shortstop (in a crucial moment of the game) and when I saw the ball caught I went to turn back to my dugout but I stomped my right foot down and planted it before I turned.

I will take a player like you on my team any day of the week. So you let your emotions get the better of you. You were in a critical game situation and you were mad at yourself for not succeeding. Answer this question. Did you give your team your absolute best effort during the at bat? I'm not talking about results. I'm talking about effort. If you gave your absolute best effort you have nothing to beat yourself up over. Venting your frustration shows you care about your team and your performance. I want to see that in ALL the athletes who play for me.

Do exactly what the doctor and rehab folks say so you'll be ready for the next season. It sounds like the fire is still there in your heart. Use the frustration as motivation to rehab. Heck you're not alone. Look at Derek Rose from the Bulls. League MVP with millions in endorsements. There is a commercial being aired in the Chicago area showing him working to get back into playing shape. It takes determination to push the frustration off to the side.

Good luck with your rehab and let us know when you're back on the field.

Don't be too hard on yourself.
We had a catcher in our HS program several years ago who tore her ACL and MCL catching in practice. Someone left a ball on the ground just out of her sight and when she hopped up to catch a pop-up she stepped on the ball. NO ONE leaves loose balls anywhere near a catcher now.
As for me, I tore one in high school in a pick up game. Then after getting it fixed (twenty years after the fact) I tore the other one demonstrating the proper (LOL) way to run suicides in basketball practice.
It can happen to nearly anyone. Take the opportunity to rehab that knee and make BOTH knees more stable by strengthening the muscles around them. You gotta take something positive from the situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan