DD's first travel tournament...need advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
We aretaking off for my 12yo DD's first travel tournament this weekend. She has pitched for a traveling summer rec team as well as for her junior high team. She's faced some tough teams, and I think she'll be fine, but is there anything I need to prompt her on prior to the game?

I'm not worried about her pitching...she's firing it hard, locating her fastballs, and throwing a pretty decent change up. I'm thinking more about fielding, avoiding illegal pitches, etc...the other things that can get in a pitcher's head and screw things up.

She is a late fill in and has had minimal coaching at this point from the travel team.

Thanks in advance.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you know her pitching has been fine, I wouldn't put anything in her head to worry about at all. Just make it clear that she should ask her coaches any question she has, no matter how small, especially if she hasn't spent much time with them yet.

If she's been called on illegal pitching in the past and you're specifically worried about that, tell one of her coaches to watch her warm up and tell her if she's doing anything illegal. Once she's with the team, all that stuff should come from the coach.

Oct 10, 2011
Just tell her she's worked hard and just rely on what she has learned in practice. Tell her to have fun! Definitely, do not fill her head with technical stuff etc...prior to the game. She knows what to do, so keep it simple.

Feb 3, 2011
Unless she's had a problem with multiple IPs being called on her this season, stay out of her head!

Her pitching is probably going to be fine, she just needs to learn this team's signs as quickly as possible and start building rapport with the catchers and other teammates and then go do her thing. Good luck to her!

May 31, 2011
Lots of good suggestions. I am going to use the KISS method and leave it between her and the coaches and team. At this point, my job is done until Monday or Tuesday!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
My recommendation is for you to find a nice place to sit in the shade, keep your mouth full of seeds and enjoy the games. Your DD will be fine so don't worry about it.

Oh, and HAVE FUN! Your DD will :)

Jun 18, 2010
Congratulations on your DD having the courage to fill in and tell her your are proud of her. We are working with my DD to overcome her shyness to feel more comfortable playing with teammates she does not know.

Dec 9, 2011
I agree with Coach JV have fun and stay away from the bleacher crowd (gets old all they do is fuss about the umps and trying to tell the players about what to do)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67