DD Update: The Journey Continues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD and I went to a D2 college that is seriously looking at her for recruiting. They are courting her hard. At least they were until today. DD did extremely well at the camp and the coaches were getting ready to roll out the red carpet so to speak. After the camp, the coaches came over and told DD how well she did and that they are very interested in having her play for them. The only thing they needed to discuss was her study major choice. They felt that nursing would be too difficult of a major to try and balance with the softball schedule. DD pretty much replied, in very polite terms mind you and I paraphrase loosely, 'Coach, I appreciate the fact that you want me to play for you. I love the girls on your team. They were very polite, helpful and seemed really nice. However, I will be playing softball through college and possibly, for the Olympic team if I have my way. I will be a nurse for the rest of my life. It's what I really want to do for a career so if softball's going to get in the way of my dream career, then softball will have to go as much as I'd hate to do it. I love the game, the camaraderie of the team, the team spirit and all that goes with it so I'd really hate to give it up right now but nursing is what I want really want to do with my life.'

The coaches said they understood but if she changed her mind about majors, please let them be the first ones to know.

I guess it's a mixed blessing. Having a kid with the decisiveness and maturity to know what she wants in both a SB career as well as a job career and still be willing to give up something she loves doing in order to achieve the latter. The D3 is still her #1 choice though so, as they say, it ain't all bad! Well, except for possibly my checking account;)

ETA: The last college stop is on the weekend of April Fool's Day. It's another D3 that is the #5 nursing program in another neighboring state and is also courting her hard. I'll keep everyone updated as we move forward.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
D-3 might be the best option.
For example, my DS is a D-3 rower. One term his class schedule interfered with practice, so he and the coach devised a plan so he could work out on his own the days he missed practice. Career comes first.

Your DD has her head on straight. Don't be surprised if she makes you proud the rest of your life

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
There are schools that will accommodate nursing. DD has a teammate that will be playing smaller D1 and studying nursing. I would expect it's all about the coach. Dartmouth has a couple of Pre-med players and pretty much everyone on the MIT team is studying engineering of some sort.

Good on your DD for sticking to her guns and good luck.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Nice that the coach was honest and up front about his inability to work with students who have majors that aren't soft.

Would have been much more difficult if she was already enrolled.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD's university's softball team has had 2 or 3 girls in the nursing program each year. This year, they are ranked #5 in the nation and they have 4 or 5 in nursing. When dd graduated, 3 from nursing also graduated. It isn't easy but it can be done.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD's university's softball team has had 2 or 3 girls in the nursing program each year. This year, they are ranked #5 in the nation and they have 4 or 5 in nursing. When dd graduated, 3 from nursing also graduated. It isn't easy but it can be done.

Thanks CB. DD's #1 choice right now is a D3 that wants her, has both a great Softball Program as well as a top notch Nursing program and they both work hand in hand so that none of the student athletes are missing anything serious in either aspect of their college lives. This year they will have 11 in the nursing program with the rest scattered around engineering, business administration and a couple of other majors. If DD's recruiting class would all go there, the coaches told her there would be 14 on the team in the nursing program and that the team normally averages 10-12 in the program at any time. With that kind of collaboration in a school and athletic program, DD feels she doesn't have to compromise and can have the best of both worlds. Also, the next college we are going to visit is very much the same way. It's a D3 that has their SB program and their Nursing program working together to make sure that the girls succeed in both areas. I'm pretty sure it will come down to the coaches, the team and the campus as to which one will turn out to be the #1 choice and the #2 since both have excellent nursing programs and they are both trying to recruit her.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
A proud moment for you as a parent. Shame on the coach for compartmentalizing every nursing student/athlete.
I had a player who went thru the same thing with recruitment at a D2. She is no a sophomore, studying nursing
who supports a 3.65 GPA and batted .375 as a freshman. She told her coach that she wanted to play and be a nurse
and was confident she could do both. Every student is different, coaches sometimes need a softer approach. Goos for you and your
DD, she will be a shining star wherever her life might lead.