dd slicing everything

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2012
My 12u DD is slicing everything. Once in awhile she will pull on an inside pitch but mostly fouls to left side or slices to left. Alot of weak slices. During games I thought she was a little late so hence the slice but tonight in practice even with live coach pitching she cant hit a pitch right down the pipe straight back up the middle. Maybe casting? Doesnt look like she's casting. Thoughts? Common reasons? thanks

Oct 25, 2009
She's a lefty?

Slices are often the result of dropping the barrel while being late to the ball. Dropping the barrel, not the shoulders.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A video would help.

Check if the feet are lined up. Having an open stance can promote a slice.

Check the swing path. It should be inside/out … if not, then work on Attacking Opposite.

Check if weight is shifted prematurely to the front side … that can promote slicing.

Overly stiff wrists that limit/restrict hand usage can lead to slicing.

Overly dominate lead-arm pulling action can also lead to a slicing issue.

Jun 26, 2012
Yes. She's a lefty.

It definitely could be dropping the barrel but not the shoulders. We are working that but shes just not getting it. It something natural to me but I cant get her to understand it completely.

We work inside and outside quite a bit so she knows how to hit it. Funny... a little high and outside she can drive it... low and inside and shes pulling it 120' and shes only 4'-5" and 75 lbs. Just too many slices.

Mar 28, 2013
Whenever my DDs start slicing it just means they are late.Practice hitting opposite field and see if it helps.It might be just that simple.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
When my daughter slices, I blame it on her pulling the bat through the zone and swinging a little down on the ball rather than turning the barrel and swinging slightly up. To slice the ball, you have to be swinging a little downward, right? If you have an upward swing, you might pop up, but you wouldn't slice it.

Also, when she slices, it's most noticeable when she swings late. But I don't think it is ''because'' she swings late that she slices. I just think that the other problems in her swing become more evident when she swings late.

Oct 25, 2009
When my daughter slices, I blame it on her pulling the bat through the zone and swinging a little down on the ball rather than turning the barrel and swinging slightly up. To slice the ball, you have to be swinging a little downward, right? If you have an upward swing, you might pop up, but you wouldn't slice it.

Also, when she slices, it's most noticeable when she swings late. But I don't think it is ''because'' she swings late that she slices. I just think that the other problems in her swing become more evident when she swings late.

A common mistake is the upward swing on a late swing. A later swing, of course, is what you want on outside pitches. What batters with little experience on outside pitches do is swing with the barrel head low; like they should do on a low middle pitch. But if you do that on a deeper, outside pitch there is a tendency to slice it.

What has to happen on the outside pitch is to keep the bat head more level. The feeling will be that the barrel is too high; that it should be lower. This is why it is absolutely necessary to practice many, many repetitions of outside pitches with the effort being to hit line drives to the right field gap (for a righty). They'll start hitting to the right side after a few buckets. But the repetitions will help ingrain it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Example of Attack Opposite.
BustosOutFrom1.gif

Line drives to right side(rh batter).
Swing out from your body, not around the body.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors