DD showed me this last night.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yes, and we coaches walk through the line up too. I've heard girls drop the "B" word and "F U".

What we have done the last couple of years is to invite the line up into a end of game prayer circle. I'm not pushing religion on anyone, but it has been very successful and seems to tone down any harsh feelings about the game. We only had 2 teams in that time refuse.

I have seen such things, though never in college. I would suggest that all the adults in the room, or kids lives have taken a sabbatical from "class"; as in class act! When kids start this stuff at say age 12 and no one objects, especially their adult supervision or parents, it will only get worse. Spank the kids but don't forget to spank the adults too!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
They identified the kid. He was tossed off the team and he has since left school. The kid was stupid.

It is a sign of the times, though. Politeness and manners seems to have gone out of style. It drives me nuts how disrespectful Americans have become.

It is pure cowardice. He should have been locked up

Jun 21, 2010
What we have done the last couple of years is to invite the line up into a end of game prayer circle. I'm not pushing religion on anyone, but it has been very successful and seems to tone down any harsh feelings about the game.

Ugh, do we really need prayer circles at the end of youth softball games? I think a polite handshake is sufficient.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ugh, do we really need prayer circles at the end of youth softball games? I think a polite handshake is sufficient.

Obviously this person would make the third team out of 80+ teams that would decline the offer.

My players came up with the idea of the prayer circle, and I stated it's been highly successful. But it's your choice not to participate, just like you stick your hand out for a polite shake, it's my choice to shake it or not.

Nov 29, 2009

Elmo,

I have to agree with you and I guess it comes down to each individual coach. I am not a religious person at all and I run my teams like that. No prayer circles or things of that nature. I've had families who are very devout and they've never had problem with that. Conversely, I never say anything about them putting church activities in front of some softball things. I have always kept a line and both sides have respected it without incident.

My feelings on prayer circles and inviting the other team to join is I feel it can put another team in an uncomfortable situation if they turn down the invitation. For me there are three things that should never mix; sports, religion and politics if you want to keep things smooth. There's too much emotion that's attached to each.

Just my thoughts. Not saying I'm right or wrong. It's what's worked best for me over the years when my DD was playing and all the teams I've coached over the years. Others may have success doing things differently.

Jun 21, 2010
My players came up with the idea of the prayer circle, and I stated it's been highly successful.

What makes for a highly successful prayer circle? No brawls? What would you expect?

My kids have been through thousands of handshake lines at the end of games and I have yet to see a fight break out so I guess these have been highly successful as well.

And I agree with Sparky. My guess is a number of teams participated because they did not want to be disrespectful to your team, not necessarily because they were enthusiastic about being invited.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm not going to get into a long drawn out Religious discussion on here. Sluggers, would shut it down and I don't blame him.

Just like 90% of the post and discussions on here things can vary from state to state, region to region, country to country. We live in the Bible Belt, so by national statistics 86% of the population here are religious in some fashion. A lot of complexes around here won't even open for games until noon on Sunday, because of Church.

So what might make you in your area of the world unenthusiastic, afraid, uncomfortable, to participate.........it's ok and fine.

I don't say the prayer, I don't ask the other team. It was the girls idea.......they ask....one of them prays. Even had players from other teams say the prayer. It's just part of the culture here. That simple.

Jan 24, 2011
I'm not going to get into a long drawn out Religious discussion on here. Sluggers, would shut it down and I don't blame him.

Just like 90% of the post and discussions on here things can vary from state to state, region to region, country to country. We live in the Bible Belt, so by national statistics 86% of the population here are religious in some fashion. A lot of complexes around here won't even open for games until noon on Sunday, because of Church.

So what might make you in your area of the world unenthusiastic, afraid, uncomfortable, to participate.........it's ok and fine.

I don't say the prayer, I don't ask the other team. It was the girls idea.......they ask....one of them prays. Even had players from other teams say the prayer. It's just part of the culture here. That simple.

I dont see any problem with this at all. As a matter of fact , I (and I believe most all of my team) would participate in this.

Oct 19, 2009
That's not extreme if you've ever been to the south. I was raised Lutheran but am not very religious to be honest. A few years ago I met a prospective client at a hospital in Georgia. I've been in my line of work for over 20 years but it was my first business trip to Georgia. As is customary over the course of the day I invited the client's staff out to lunch. I almost blew the whole deal over this at the restaurant when the food came out the IT Director asked one of his staffers to lead the prayer. That was my first and only pre-business-lunch prayer. Thank God I didn't take a bite of my food first!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd