DD Landing at a 45° angle but still need some help......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
She is just trying to get basic mechanics down. She is not learning any movement pitches.......YET.

Yea, but then what is the tape for??? Maybe its just to mark the ball with the worn out seams. Self correcting will change the pitch every time if it doesn't get close to the zone. Seeing the ball in the zones and spinning the same way is the basics...

When you are starting... and can't get it across the plate... it is reassuring to see the seam standing up...that's what I would always say as I jumped up, or drooped to my knees to catch DD at first... "The Seam was Up"..... anyhow LOL

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Boomers,

I would also like to know why the tape is sideways. Is this intentional? I think the release looks right but I'm wondering why you are not using the tape on the ball correctly to see the proper fastball spin.

I honestly didnt know there was a certain way to put the tape on!! Am I goofy or what!!!??? :). Can you tell me how to put it on??

.....and the reason I put the tape on there is because we wanted to see the spin/orientation of the ball. We were told the spin should be towards the catchers left knee with a 1 to 6 spin. Come to think of it, the tape really never showed us much!!!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC,

Maybe I don't understand your post. Most of the time I don't. Are you saying that the tape is oriented correctly here for a peel fastball? I'm assuming that is what she is trying to learn. If she is working on a turn over drop then she has it correct. If peel fastball then not. Maybe she is just randomly holding the ball. Hopefully Boomers will let us know.

Sorry about your not understanding me...I'm trying to get better. I take it that they are just starting out... Regardless what you are telling them, if they are not seeing it close to the strike zone... they are not going to do it.... I was talking about the Gravity Drop. :{))

[video=youtube_share;MY-GKPsjhjk]http://youtu.be/MY-GKPsjhjk[/video]

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The stripe orientation depends on whether she uses a four or two seam grip. If using a four seam, the stripe goes perpendicular to the four seams. If a two seam, the stripe crosses the top of the horseshoe and passes through the narrows on the other side.

The middle finger and thumb are placed on and in line with the the stripe. If using a three finger grip, the pointer and ring fingers rest on the same seam and on each side of the middle finger.

I like using a permanent marker rather than tape because it does't change the feel of the ball. (It is tough to clean the scuff marks on gym floors, though...)

How to make a striped ball:
The Fine Art of Creating a Striped Softball Great softball pitching hints and recommendations for girl softball pitchers

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The stripe orientation depends on whether she uses a four or two seam grip. If using a four seam, the stripe goes perpendicular to the four seams. If a two seam, the stripe crosses the top of the horseshoe and passes through the narrows on the other side.

The middle finger and thumb are placed on and in line with the the stripe. If using a three finger grip, the pointer and ring fingers rest on the same seam and on each side of the middle finger.

I like using a permanent marker rather than tape because it does't change the feel of the ball. (It is tough to clean the scuff marks on gym floors, though...)

How to make a striped ball:
The Fine Art of Creating a Striped Softball Great softball pitching hints and recommendations for girl softball pitchers

I only use tape thru the narrows. While we are on this, If you get the 3 fingers on over the seam, on a new ball, its a drop... if you keep them behind the seams, its ...My... flat-fingered knuckle ball.... Same everything else Pre-motion, Length of stride, Circle Speed...ect...

You go to 4 seams, after you have accomplished the confidence of the ball doing the same thing, and the use of the 2 seams cutting accuracy. Then you do same thing with the 4 seams...kinda...fingers behind the seams... and get Hals Flat Fingered Knuckle Ball, I would prefer you get with Hal about that...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Get yourself a hockey puck or spinner to aid with the spin. cheap and effective. Regarding the whip. Again probably not an ideal way to address but we talked about the whip in two distinct movements. One was when the elbow gets to the body, the second was then to fire the hand down. Regarding the roll over of the hand i would have her concentrate on driving her fingers/wrist "violently" straight up as if giving you the bird then relax and allow the hand to do what it does. This will help with spin as well. And no i'm not advocating HE. And get her in front of the mirror working on that arm circle. Use a flap on her thigh

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Regarding the roll over of the hand i would have her concentrate on driving her fingers/wrist "violently" straight up as if giving you the bird then relax and allow the hand to do what it does. This will help with spin as well.

Can you explain this a little more? As I understand, Boomers is hoping to improve his daughters release. If the focus is improving I/R to maximize whip potential, a focus on getting the hand/fingers behind the ball at this point will be somewhat counter productive. I slight angle in the spin axis (somewhere inbetween spiral and perpendicular) is typical result with good I/R. Remember, the hand/wrist, forearm is rotataing loosely through release. Once she has a good whip developed, she can change the focus to controlling the spin.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Her hand is rolling over before release as in a roll over drop as mentioned earlier. I think she has been taught to consciously think about rolling the hand rather than having it roll as a product of the delivery. I was trying to impress the whip and subsequent actions have to be done with some urgency

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Good, now we got that figured out. :)

I hope so... Did you understand the video? Girl starting out, confidence getting lots of Ks in game. The Zone defined... now we were ready to get rid of swimming, leg slapping, taking ball back to far...ect... One thing at a time. I never could understand throwing the ball backwards though... I guess youd have to set a net behind her....Guess I can't understand you, on this ...the first time Ive read after you... :{))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog