dd is back slapper

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
Daughter(10) is pulling everything foul and I am noticing she hits her back evetytime she swings at follow through.she rolls her wrist after contact. She is slumping and confidence is down.is back slapping undesirable and is this due to knuckle position an rolling her wrist Cu's she does roll wrist after contact? Thanks for any advice and drills

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Back slapping occurs when she doesn't unlock her elbows after contact. Have her get all the way through contact, then allow the elbows to bend naturally.

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the feedback.my question now is is this a big issue and she finishes with 2 hands on the bat so should I work with finishing with 1 hand holding the bat.if so id this a quick fix or something we should work on next winter.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The finish is a mute point...its irrelevant. Once they drive completely through the ball, now the focus had better have shifted to getting on base and not how to hold the bat;)

Sep 18, 2011
DD is a very successful hitter, but is also a back slapper. The NCAA D2 home run per game leader is a back slapper (we get to watch most of her home games). I personally don't care for it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Kind of a moot point, or "mute" if Coach James prefers. :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
'Back slapper' also may be from a hitter that is a 'level' swinger. Shoulders level, bat level... on all pitch heights. Just a guess from not seeing video of a hitter. vino1972, (I'm guessing again, this being a good year for 'vino'?) may not be a big issue if your DD was/is already playing DI.II,III ... college. Maybe a big issue if your DD wants to play at a higher level middle school ball,highschool....ect.

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for your post. Interesting post RB. I have been working a lot of tilt with her because she swings hard, but a lot of the time it is hard ground balls and if she hits line drives a lot would be in the gaps. I will try to video tape her tonight and post it for feedback. I really appreciate all the feedback. I love this forum!
--RB, what drills do you use to teach them to not be a "level" swinger?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The 'easiest' would be to lower the tee knee height or lower and let DD swing. You will see if DD is tilting or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd