DD gave up her first career OTF HR this weekend :(

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

First outdoor tournament of the season for us moving up to 14U. First game. Walked batter 1, 2 reached on an error by 2B and 3 launched a 1-2 pitch over the RC fence. Thing is it was a good pitch, low and outside corner, and the girl just went with the pitch and was able to barrel it up. It was a legit no-doubter, 200' fence and cleared it by 25'+. Now that the opposition is woman-sized, I knew it would happen at some point.

I wasn't sure how DD would react, but she didn't seem fazed. She was more upset later about the couple walks she gave up. She troopered on the rest of the weekend.

Jun 14, 2016
My DD has given up 2 and she is in 16u. The 1st was in 14u and it was a curveball that was sent over. It happens and won't be the last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I tell my DD that if she makes her pitch and hits her spot and gets taken deep, give the batter a golf clap. If she hangs a pitch belt high down the middle, that is on her...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would quess DD will give up her 1st this year if she pitches enough. I told her to yell to outfielder "You need to jump and catch those!".

Sounds like your DD handled it well, I am worried DD will start nit picking zone walking batters and will need a couple practice sessions to get her back on track. We will see.

Apr 28, 2014
If your DD is playing at the 14U A level and pitching consistently she will give up dingers. It's just part of the game. At 14U most girls can hit.

Feb 7, 2013
DD gave up her first home run over the fence in 10U all-star championship game, on a change-up no less. The batter already had 2 doubles off of her. This girls last at bat was top of 7th, 2 outs and bases loaded. We are home team up 6-4. We intentionally walk her, run scores, now 6-5. The next batter hits a ground ball to 3rd base for the 3rd out. DD's team wins championship.

The bottom line is if you pitch, you will be giving up the occasional home run. It's just part of the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan