Dd drill and tee swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2012
I post video cause I want her to be the best she can be. Went to a former d1 player and coach and said her swing stinks. Started back to previous coach cause he lost his place and had no where to do lessons. He said he took dd to Howard and he learned himself to do lessons but everyone said it no better. Yes he had her doing hammer drills and I made a ball on stick just like it and have done 100s on drills with it. On to new coach he says use kiss method the less movement the better. He says the swing has to start from ground up but not swing thru ball that you push the bat thru it. That's y wrist uncocked early. It's enough to make you want to drink lol. Thanks for help.

Feb 14, 2010
Racer,

I'm not trying to be a smartass but honestly all you have to do is watch video of the best and try to create what you are seeing. Once you feel confident that you've captured the feel tape yourself swinging and compare your swing to the best. Capturing the feel is the most important to being able to teach it. Don't get discouraged, we've all taken steps backwards during the journey. You have to ask your DD and yourself a lot of questions along the way

Jan 2, 2012
All the coaches we have been to have told us they were taught by the best. All of them have each told us something different so how do you sort out the good and bad? I've watched so many videos it's not even funny but I'm still not good enough to teach her the proper swing. Thanks for your help.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
All the coaches we have been to have told us they were taught by the best. All of them have each told us something different so how do you sort out the good and bad? I've watched so many videos it's not even funny but I'm still not good enough to teach her the proper swing. Thanks for your help.

Tqracer53,

I understand how you feel. Both as an interested and involved parent and also coming here. There are certain truths not related to mechanics you need to remember. There are egos here. I am not excluding myself or it would destroy my point. But your daughter is not that bad. Is she a mirror image of what the best do? Does she swing like Jessica Mendoza of Laura Berg? No! But there are tons of kids around, even kids that came to college that don't have ideal swings. It is a process. And your only dilemma is that you don't know where to get the best advice. My personal opinion would be to find a way to work with one coach, not us! You can post here, but don't take it to heart. The objective is to enhance that process. I don't like seeing kids get slapped down. You can't teach 10 things at once. And if it was my daughter, I would want a coach to say, "You know, you are doing great, but you know I think if we change this just a little we can even do better." That is how it is supposed to work. I never walked up to a college player and told her she sucks! So here are some simple principles, not technique I think you should think about.

1) Find someone you trust
2) Divide her problems, some of which have been discussed here. Divide her issues into the smallest and simplest elements.
3) Work from the simplest to the most complex
4) Work from generally the ground up, and one at a time.

If straighleg lives near you, see if you can figure out an internet or video method to work with him. I think he would do you fine. Maybe you can go there once every other week in person or something. But right now you are treading water a little. And don't let your daughter see your frustration. She doesn't see the harsh words here, and I don't think she should see your exasperation. In a month, come back and give us an update, off the tee so it goes a little easier on you.

crankermo made a valid point. I am sure there are others.

Jun 17, 2010
both hands must "do their thing" and that requires room.
the elbow can't get trapped at the side of the body. Even on and inside pitch. there's always some space between
the back elbow and the torso.
That's my point and only point.
I am not commenting on the young lady's swig.
You, because I've written many time that extension is a result of correct upstream mechanics, know I would never advocate this particular drill. I agree with you, that there is some correcting to do in this particuar swing.

I love absolutes

Pujols_5.jpg

Oct 25, 2009
You mean she or he posted to lead to some other wed site?

I think that's the trick, to see some kind of ad or other. I don't click on them, I report them with the little triangle at the bottom of the posts.

They're usually just a few words that don't really mean much to the subject of the forum. Sometimes it's just a copy of the first sentence of a previous post in the thread.

Oct 25, 2009

Some of the best things you can do is throw her lots and lots of front toss. Even better would be for her to see lots of pitches from a real pitcher. May even be cheaper than a private coach. She will learn much just by hitting those kinds of pitches. The lessons will make more sense then and the progress will be much faster.

Keep this at the top of your thoughts: there is no silver bullet; there is no absolute correct answer.

Hundreds and thousands of swings from now and she will be GREATLY improved if you never spent another dollar on lessons. Most all coaches have their own way of teaching and not one of them have the best way. Your DD will find the best way; and it will be a mix of everything she experiences.

Be patient lest you become a patient.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Tgracer53,
I feel your pain.Trust me I do,just read my post of my DD.I posted slow-mo swings, tee swings, live swings ,dry swings and no swings.I honestly thought my DD swing was good.It had to be,because she hits the ball in games.So I posted to find a way to maybe help her hit the ball further and get a few homeruns.Boy was I wrong.I found out just how bad my DD swing was.As a dad how could I miss all the things wrong with her swing.You get to a point instead of logging on to DFP you feel like logging on to EBay and sell all of DD's softball gear You find out that denial isn’t just a river in Egypt .Now what do you do now.First thing is to realize and understand that everyone on this site is here to help you.It may not feel like that at this moment, but they are. What I did was read and re-read everything posted on this site. I myself had to learn the correct way to swing.I watched a lot of videos on the the site.Watch the videos on the model swing post.Don’t be like me, if you don’t understand something ask questions someone if not everyone will answer your question.Start from the bottom on up.Start with the stance get that right.Ask your DD what stance feels comfortable.Get the hands set.There are post and pics of that on here.Work slow and get her base correct.Almost everyone’s DD been at the point your DD is at now.Its a slow process with no short cuts. I am in the same process as you and my DD is getting better.Yes,there are bumps in the rode and yes you will take steps backwards.Hopefully there will be more steps forward then back.Learn as much about the swing as you can.Take some swings,lots of swings.Trust me my wife thinks I’m nuts because I am constantly swinging an imaginary bat in the kitchen all the time.Your DD will get better the people on this site are here to help you.Trust me everyone wants your DD to get better.Just keep at it.Sorry for the long post.

Jun 18, 2010
I echo rdbass's post. I too have a similar thread with my DD's swing/progress posted. There is a lot of good information to be gleaned from this site. You have to realize this is a process and however bad you want it to be perfect overnight, that's not going to happen. The hitting experts on this site are very generous with their advice and time. Many will take a video you post and break it down into still shots and show you exactly where problems start. Remember there may not be a one-size-fits-all fix for your DDs swing. Personally, I have taken parts of suggestions from different posters who may disagree on a subtlety of the swing, but certain queues or described feelings click more with DD than others. I guess my main advice is to be persistent and continue your research both within your thread and the many others that have proceeded you.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Tqracer53,

I understand how you feel. Both as an interested and involved parent and also coming here. There are certain truths not related to mechanics you need to remember. There are egos here. I am not excluding myself or it would destroy my point. But your daughter is not that bad. Is she a mirror image of what the best do? Does she swing like Jessica Mendoza of Laura Berg? No! But there are tons of kids around, even kids that came to college that don't have ideal swings. It is a process. And your only dilemma is that you don't know where to get the best advice. My personal opinion would be to find a way to work with one coach, not us! You can post here, but don't take it to heart. The objective is to enhance that process. I don't like seeing kids get slapped down. You can't teach 10 things at once. And if it was my daughter, I would want a coach to say, "You know, you are doing great, but you know I think if we change this just a little we can even do better." That is how it is supposed to work. I never walked up to a college player and told her she sucks! So here are some simple principles, not technique I think you should think about.

1) Find someone you trust
2) Divide her problems, some of which have been discussed here. Divide her issues into the smallest and simplest elements.
3) Work from the simplest to the most complex
4) Work from generally the ground up, and one at a time.

If straighleg lives near you, see if you can figure out an internet or video method to work with him. I think he would do you fine. Maybe you can go there once every other week in person or something. But right now you are treading water a little. And don't let your daughter see your frustration. She doesn't see the harsh words here, and I don't think she should see your exasperation. In a month, come back and give us an update, off the tee so it goes a little easier on you.

crankermo made a valid point. I am sure there are others.

This is excellent advice, one of the post I have seen that may actually help someone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207